opening djs: dont break the ten commandments - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

LOL...I forgot to post the bible...but that shit is sooo tru. I headlined at a club last weekend and the openning dj before me killed my whole set by playing New Wave & Spanish Rock 160 - 180 bpms. I wanted to choke him!!! My set started at 130 bpm and ended at 150...by the end of my set people were burned out.

Also I had a trainspotter on sunday that had his iphone in the air with shazam! I told my door guy to hit him up and tell him if he really wanted the song to come over to the dj booth and ill give him the song....F'er never came over! I was playing trendy Indie Rock.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Banned

Another good read about opening and programming, this is something I take very personally and seriously

Banned

err, helps if I put the link in I'm sure

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1095

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    err, helps if I put the link in I'm sure

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1095
    also a very nice read... this also happens to be something i consider very serious. i think its much harder to perfect a set when you are not supposed to play exactly what everyone came out to hear. it truly is an art, and not one easily taught.

my favorite commandment is thou shall not play any songs that include the lyrics "put your hands up in the air"

the 8th rule is wrong on so many levels.

Tech Guru

Honestly man just do what makes sense and what seems right at the time. Placing rules on stuff can just limit yourself sometimes.

But deffinitly dont start off banging the club early in the night haha.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Guru

Fuck all that shit! I play what I want when I want and I expect a DJ opening for me to do so too!
    I hate "warm up" DJ's, I only have time for "set em on fire" DJ's!
    If you can't handle the heat then stay the fuck out the kitchen!

Banned

Let me guess, you listen to happy hardcore?

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Also I had a trainspotter on sunday that had his iphone in the air with shazam! I told my door guy to hit him up and tell him if he really wanted the song to come over to the dj booth and ill give him the song....F'er never came over! I was playing trendy Indie Rock.
    I don't think that was me. But I was gonna hit you up on a song you played around 12ish. It was a spanish cut, but not rock. More of a Banda type cut. I just remember looking around and everyone was going nuts, including everyone gathered around the DJ area.
    Last edited by DJMOO; 02-18-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typos
    Beat Laboratory: MBP/Serato Scratch 2.2/2xKRK Rokit 6/2XTechnics SL-1200s/DJM700

Tech Mentor

i think what it meant was to scratch in excess.

yea the one more tune only bothers me if they dont ask and think its there given right to just play one more tune.

i was playign first on saturday night and the person after me was
    a) a no name DJ who thought he was the dogs

b) walked into the booth in the middle of me mixing and demanded i get off becuase it was his slot (sorry i had 3 mins left and in the fuckign middle of a mix) you cant just slam through a door and me bow down to you immediately mid mix and hand over the turntables to his 'gracious'. Plus he was just literally in the club that second.

c) simply stopped my track as soon as i walked away to put my last cd away and the track was in the middle. started his first tune 4 BPM's higher than my last tune. (this is at 9pm and at 132BPM and played trance classics as his first 2 tunes with about 10 people in the club gettin drinks). i simply walked out of the club and went to an offlicence in the city centre and came back to the club as i felt like hitting the cunt.

d) the worst of all i knew this person and helped him out big style during the summer one time and it was pure chance we were dj'ing together as i forgot his name and he was still an arrogant twat trying to get all the attention of the night

what i dont hope is that the promoter likes this and doesnt know how to warm up a night himself.

the website Nephew put up is spot on and alot of the times i feel like promoters and wayyyyyy too many dj's dont understand this in the slightest
    Last edited by manus; 02-18-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast