Optimising Traktor in XP / XP Adivce
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Optimising Traktor in XP / XP Adivce

I've a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop which came running Vista. However, I've upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. I understand that Traktor runs best in XP?

I have XP Pro on a desktop which I no longer even turn on, so was considering multi-booting my laptop with XP Pro and 7 Ultimate, using XP as a small partition with nothing installed on except for Traktor and using 7 Ultimate for any other use of the laptop.

However, I've installed 7 Ultimate first, and then installed XP Pro, but then I lose 7 Ultimate from the OS list. I've then tried using the Startup Recovery Tool in Windows 7's disc system tools. I then get 7 Ultimate as default OS but lose the ability to boot into XP Pro. I have then formatted both partition and tried to install 7 first and then XP, but same thing happens. I seem to only be able to boot into whatever the most recent OS i install. Any ideas on how I do this?

And when I do it, any tweaks or suggestions for XP to optimise it for Traktor?

Thanks.

PS - I know someone will suggest it, but I can't afford a MacBook or a new laptop so trying to crack the above!

Tech Guru

I usually mod my boot.ini file and that corrects the issue on dual boot selection. As far as Traktor running best on XP, it's really a matter of how tight you lock down and upkeep your operating system. I think Windows 7 really makes good effort to provide the best user experience possible, but personally I like running my own customized version of XP which was made using nLite. It's only 500mb big, low overhead, and has everything I need, nothing that I dont want. It's sort of like XPe, minus the need to learn about PMQ files, repository components, and dependencies. You can also slip stream drivers, hot fixes, and service packs into it.

I'd recommend looking into it if you're interested in building the perfect custom OS to run Traktor on

You need to install Win XP first. Windows 7 being newer, it will see that an operating system is already present and adapt his boot loader consequently, giving the choice between Win 7 and "An older Windows version".

If you want to change the boot menu afterward, follow this guide:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2014/..._boot_xp_prof/

As for optomizing XP :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...sician0302.asp

http://www.musicxp.net/dnn/

There are also a lot of informations at the end of the Traktor manual about this also.
    The Phat One

What about using the XP mode in Windows 7 Ultimate? One of my mates just suggested installing Windows 7 Ultimate only and then running Traktor within the XP mode. This is way too complicated for me to figure out though! Is doing it this way as good as using native XP?

Also, mmauve, is your customised version of XP available anywhere? Or did you tailor it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    What about using the XP mode in Windows 7 Ultimate? One of my mates just suggested installing Windows 7 Ultimate only and then running Traktor within the XP mode. This is way too complicated for me to figure out though! Is doing it this way as good as using native XP?

Also, mmauve, is your customised version of XP available anywhere? Or did you tailor it yourself?
    no that's going to be as good as native XP, you're on to the right idea by dual booting.

the nlite tools are out there so you can make your own customised version of XP using your copy of XP, including your serial #, for the files...microsoft wouldn't relly like for mmauve or anyone giving away copies of XP, but the tools are there to make your own.

Just had a flash then. How viable is converting my laptop into an OSX86 iHackintosh? As, ultimately, Mac's and Windows both use the same hardware, just the OSX is what peoplebuy the Mac's for.

Would this be a work around to get optimum performance and stability?

just do a win 7/win 7 dual boot, that's what i've done, works fine, for xp optimize check out the link at the bottom of my sig (little thing about my dual boot in my blog)

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

im sorry i meant to write not going to be as good as xp in the last post.
    I'm not sure how stable the hackintosh will be on ur system...its not a blanket statement that all windows pc parts will be comp. with osX
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

livefaststephen put me onto a free app called "gamebooster". wicked little program it shuts down all the unnecessary services with one click. I use this and tuneup 2010 and xp runs like ben johnson after an injection.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Jester thanks for the name drop

Bunford also download "easy bcd" its the sickest freeware bootloader, youtube it for info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast