Any Drummers/Ex-Drummers out there that produce now?

Question Any Drummers/Ex-Drummers out there that produce now?

Hey guys been playing the drums for going 15 years now and moved onto mixing when I moved to Uni because I couldn't bring my set with me. I have a question for anyone here who used to drum and now mix's; has it affected your mixing skills?

And more importantly to me at the moment anyone here tried to produce with a percussionists background and no traditional music theory? As i'm sure most of you know that drum music is written different to all other types of music and thus I don't know anything about cords, key's, scales etc.

Should I be learning an instrument (piano) or just reading some music theory books?
    Novation ReMote 25, Novation Launchpad, Traktor Pro, Macbook Pro
    http://flavors.me/jkcraven

8notes.com is a good resource if you dont know scales
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Tech Mentor

I used to drum, got to grade 8 and then went to uni, sold my kit and got a vci. I find that everything I bloody do is a beat or a group of beats. I count out rhythms in my head for my footsteps and am always tapping. I feel this helps my mixing as I can always find the beat and tap along.

drummers have it the easiest i feel when DJing or producing. we have that engrained sense of rhythm in our soul

one thing i've noticed (and you might be able to too if you listen hard enough) is when a drummer makes a track, if they pan the hi hat to the left (drummer's perspective) rather than to the right (crowd perspective). my background is that of a formal percussionist, so i learned chords/scales from playing marimba/xylo/vibe, it's definitely key in making music (no pun intended).

you could always hook up with another producer that has a strength in musicality rather than rhythm, and you two could compliment each other.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    drummers have it the easiest i feel when DJing or producing. we have that engrained sense of rhythm in our soul
    +1 i was tapping on every beat even before i started drumming
    Macbook Pro, VCI-100 FW 1.3, Traktor Pro, Audio 2 DJ

It's all about the house music, and it always will be.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah my beat counting has gotten way way stronger since I started DJ'ing just because Im always counting tracks. Building beats and stuff is the easy part.

@djhipnotikk - Yeah I would love to team up with someone who has a more traditionally music theory orientated experience.

@JasonJ - 8Notes is great thanks for that suggestion.

Anyone know any totally percussion dance tracks that rip apart dance floors? Just percussion nothing else?
    Novation ReMote 25, Novation Launchpad, Traktor Pro, Macbook Pro
    http://flavors.me/jkcraven

Tech Mentor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfadq...eature=related

not quite what you were after but it entertained me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3iZh0iRLOE

theres a more stripped version that ive got on record.its the same as this but without the drive and the bloke saying ''b ling da ling da ling'' ha ha

it was on defected records side b was 2 warren clarke remixes(it was the second 1).side a was the original.the stripped version i've seen whip many a dancefloor.
    Last edited by calvin01; 03-02-2010 at 04:49 AM.