xone:dx and cdj's?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default xone:dx and cdj's?

does anyone know if you can hook up cdj's to the new xone:dx ?

like if you look at this video, the there is a denon next to the xone:dx and the wires hooked up into the xone:dx looks like its coming from the cdj. if you look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXGX7zcpIu8 it shows the behind of the xone at 5:35 min/sec

im thinking i will get the xone:dx and also use it as a mixer and also buy some cdj's one at a time like the cdj400,1000,900,2000 and play around with them since clubs will carry those so it'll be good to be familiar with them

and its funny how he doesnt say how you can hook up cdj's cause those 2 cables red/white are hooked up to that cdj. but i just want to confirm.

Tech Wizard

if i recall correctly, you can, but since the xone:dx has no analog mixing controls, you still need a laptop plugged into the xone:dx running serato in order to get the mixer controls.

that is correct -
    using the xone:dx with any external audio - cd/tt/mic/etc requires a computer to be connected to the dx and the host application - serato itch, traktor, etc. will need to be configured to route the sound card inputs through the software mixer... like thru-mode in any of the usual suspects.

from an experiential perspective, the latency of the a-d-a conversion is very minute and hardly perceivable.

and i'll say this again - considering cdj's after purchasing a xone dx would be a step backwards... but you'll have to get some hands on time with both systems to believe it...

Tech Guru

How exactly would a CDJ 900/2000 be a step backwards?

the cdj's would be better served in the end with a proper line mixer (be it analogue or digital).

that way you could use time code to drive a scratch amp of some sort (like an audio dj 8, sl1/3, or a certified mixer such as a xone:4D or rane ttm57sl.)

you'd be duplicating a lot of effort in either burning cds of your collection or sharing hard drives via the pioneer pro link... itch or traktor already handle that business for you.

the dx is a control surface and an audio interface, not a mixer as it's often mis-perceived.

this means that you can't connect an audio dj8 to use with TSP, since traktor only works with one audio interface at a time. it will never be traktor certified.

you would only be able to play back a cd through the dx using the cdj's functions, which the dx already does just fine (as in transport, cues, beat jumping loops... except for scratching, but i'd figure serious scratch heads want a 1200 for that.)

itch as an application is a closed system (excluding the to be released bridge/live stuff), so there's no custom mapping or time code support (time code is rane exclusive for scratch live)...

so to make the most of your cdj's, a proper mixer would let them shine; where as the xone:dx is a functional (and economical) alternative to purchasing 4 cdj's, 2-4 effect boxes, and a line mixer.

there's some other stuff about non-linear playback, specifically with some of the nice roll functions in itch, but that's another story...

good post and welcome to the forums.

Tech Guru

Ohhhh ok, I totally misread your post, I thought you mean CDJ 900/2000 in GENERAL would be a step backwards, you were talking in usage with the Xone DX which pretty much handles the functions which they do already. My bad! lmao

Tech Student

Default Usage of CDJ/External Anlalog Source through the DX

I'm still unclear on this interface.

For one, I'm going to be using Traktor, not Itch. Does this "through" function work in Traktor as well?

Also, if the [CDJ] signal is going into the controller analog, getting changed to digital via the soundcard and software program, and then sent back out as analog, is there anyway to control the sound using the mixer? I.e., channel volume? EQ? I mean, if it's not analog mixer, how would you mix in sound coming from a CDJ?

Lastly, does the "new" digital signal (having been transformed from the analog signal sent into the DX from the CDJ) actually get recognized in the software program? I.e., will a track coming from the CDJ get transformed into a wave form?

Thinking of getting the xone DX, but until I'm clear on this, I'll be holding off.

Thanks!

Hi JB.Junior, welcome to the forums.

In Traktor you will assign the deck you have the CDJ connected to to run in "Audio Through". You lose control in traktor of the audio input. That means no waveform or control over tempo or pitch, nor can you even stop or start the audio, all these functions have to be done on your CDJ. You can, however, control the audio output. This means the EQ will be fully functional as well as the gain.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Student

Wow, Phil, thanks! (And thanks for the welcome.)

I guess the channel fader on the DX is output as well, right? So one could control that, i.e., the "amount" of sound coming into the mix? Or would it have to be done exclusively through gain?

Just wondering: do you have one of these things? Have you seen this (running a CDJ/Analog signal into the DX) done? How well does it work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast