Entering Production
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Entering Production

Basically I want to get into production what do you think are some things I should buy (i have fl studio & ableton 8) and no need for monitors, or soundcard have those... are there any other good programs I was thinking along the lines of Nuendo, Cubase, Reason... what are your thoughts and any other hardware (piano, mpd) thank i would appreciate the help
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Guru

For gear get a Novation Remote SL25 or something similar for keys, and perhaps a drum pad, Akai ones are good. Perhaps if your using Ableton a clip launcher like the Apc40/20.

For software just learn to use ONE, it really doesn't matter which, but pick one and learn it, I personally like ableton cos it means I can use it to play out as well with the same setup.

Banned

Start taking piano lessons first and for most. If your trying to make music you need to understand basic music theory.

All the gear in the world isn't going to help you if you don't even know basic scales and chords and so on.

Check out this vid to understand what I mean

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11444

I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here and say that you don't really need neither gear nor music theory to get started.

Choose which DAW you're comfortable with (Ableton or FL) and start making some tracks using what you have at home, and when you feel like you need something (like a MIDI keyboard or drum pad) cause it fits your production style, THEN you can go buy it.

Don't make the mistake of gearing up so it becomes a chore to produce. Keep it simple and add stuff as you go, you can get super far with software

And about music theory, I know people are gonna fuck me for this but afaik there are some top class producers (depending on genre of course) who couldn't play the piano to save their lives (deadmau5 for example). Music theory is PURE GOLD when producing but to get started, clinch your teeth and make a few tracks before building with more
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Tech Guru

thank really appreciate it and yeah im kinda low on cash so i was just planning on buying equipment right away..i will make a few tracks and just really learn the program i use to its full extent and then after i would buy gear (but my cousin told me nuendo & cubase are killer together ; and he wouldnt mind sharing them with me)
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Banned

Are you phucking kidding me? Deadmau5 went to a music conservatory, he knows more music theory than a lot of big name producers do.

Santos bro, do a little research. You will find that each program you have listed does the same thing more or less... The work flows are really the only difference. Most if not all of these come with instrument packs to get you started out of the gate.

Personally I started out with fruity loops (imo the easiest to learn), making simple hip hop beats. Once you learn that, you will know how a lot of works and what it does. Which in turn will make it easier to migrate to live or cubase. (you already own live so why bother purchasing cubase as well?)

my 2 cents

Your DAWs will do fine, all you need now is your mouse and a good ear!
    papachilla...| UB Macbook Pro | NI Kontrol S4 | NI Kontrol X1 | AKAI MPD32 | AKAI LPK25 | KRK ROKIT5-2

... another note on deadmau5. He also helped program FlStudio hence why there are alot of his loops and such in the demo songs
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, there is a middle ground here.

If you're going to get into production you don't NEED theory. But it helps, a LOT. At that, you definitely don't need conservatory of music levels of theory. I'd get a simple theory book to just walk you through how music looks, how scales are comprised, what major and minor scales are, chord structure, etc. etc.. There's an awesome brass music store in Newark that probably has all the stuff you need called Dylan's, and there's always the internet. I like work books for this stuff cause they give you a much more direct objective.

You really only need Ableton Live for now. You have it, use it.

I would definitely at least get a little 25 key MIDI controller to get started so you can learn how to construct music, and eventually getting something like the APC40 for Ableton.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast