Kinda disappointed at the path some digital DJs take
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Kinda disappointed at the path some digital DJs take

I went to a bar the other day for a drink and clocked the DJ playing with Traktor. He was using a touch screen tablet thing, you know a computer that is literally just a screen. In order to control everything he was using one of those pen things that come with the tablet you use to touch the screen. Now I'm sorry, call me old fashioned but where's the heart and sole of DJing gone? I like to jump around and dance to the music, I do this while I'm doing shit with my hands on the equipment that makes a difference to the music. How is anyone supposed to get down when they are tapping away at the screen with a silly little pen? I like to look at the crowd and get that relationship going on between me and them. I'm sorry but hiding behind a screen doing what looks like placing an order at a fast food restaurant... come on now!?
    I get drunken chicks come up in the DJ booth from time to time dancing around and bumping up against me and shit, what if this happens to that dude and his magic pen gets knocked out of his hands and goes missing?... He's screwed!
    Now, it took me a bit of time to warm to the whole digital thing, but now there's people actually doing shit that actually involves skill; cue juggling, scratching with jog wheels, 4 deck mixing etc. I just don't get how someone can have the nerve to stand there tarnishing nu skool DJ's with the "that's cheating" brush. At least TRY and make it look like you're doing something other than pushing play.

He'd have a hard time playing when i shoved that pen where the sun don't shine He's just taking the piss, surely.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Glad someone feels the same way

If his screen had anywhere near the latency of the touch screen I had on the flight from Europe last week, the people on the dance floor are screwed!!

Dodge's argument is valid, but I know a jazz drummer who thinks the same of electro-dance producers "painting" beats on a screen. I can here his voice ringing out "Where the f&^* is the soul in that?!?" LOL

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Personally I don't give a shit how the DJ interacts with his equipment, as long as the tunes are good.

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    I went to a bar the other day for a drink and clocked the DJ playing with I get drunken chicks come up in the DJ booth from time to time dancing around and bumping up against me and shit, what if this happens to that dude and his magic pen gets knocked out of his hands and goes missing?... He's screwed!
    The same would apply if they knocked your turntables/whanged a tone arm and broke a needle - you'd carry spares, I hope this guy does as well....
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Well if he was perched behind his laptop just tapping the screen with a stylus, not putting on any type of show whatsoever, i know there is 0% chance he would get some play that night.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Well if he was perched behind his laptop just tapping the screen with a stylus, not putting on any type of show whatsoever, i know there is 0% chance he would get some play that night.
    And?

What if he's not interested in chasing women? He;s just interested in playing a decent set and getting/keeping a crowd going?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

My underlying point is that if you had two dj's right, same tracks etc: the first guys is playing as dodge mentioned, basically the stereotypical "checking email" type digital DJ. technically perfect, but boring as hell to watch, and the second guy: same tracks again, maybe using a controller or even some decks, it doesn't matter. This guy is bopping around, interacting with the crowd, getting the hype up etc, all that jazz. Who would you, as a punter, rather watch?

Jack Bastard

It wouldn't matter as long as the music was good.

Tech Guru

So much tension in the digital DJ relm haha. I think when the digital tools are finally all utilized in an interactive way and production and DJ'ing become even more merged, DJ'ing will be much harder than it ever was because everyone would have their game stepped up!

Thaaats when all of this digital arguments will finally be done with!
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast