Should i switch from vci 300 to 100 ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Should i switch from vci 300 to 100 ?

Hi guys,

had my 300 a couple of months and to be honest i'm sick to the teeth with serato ITCH.

I was wondering is it worth switching to the 100 ? Like when using traktor can i just play any song ? Or do i have to prepare it first ?

... I'm new to traktor and i hear people talking about beatgridding songs ? What's that all about ?

Please help,

thanx a million

i would switch the vci 100 is a good little controller. and with the use of traktor pro its even better. With traktor you can just play the music no preporation required.

What are you unhappy about with Serato ITCH?

Tech Mentor

200 + euro for efx, and it's currently not working with my laptop. And the people at serato are trying to get it too work but seem to be out of solutions.

And plus i'm in a b2b act and my partner in crime uses traktor it would be easier all around to use two 100's and two laptops running traktor.

Tech Mentor

Oh another thing ,

anyone got any good laptop suggestions other than mac,

mac is just too pricey at the min i need something else, are samsung any good ??

Sounds like it would work best for your setup to go with a VCI-100 and sell the 300, esp. if your partner in crime is using traktor as well.

As far as computers go, as long as it's up to speed and you load it with as much RAM as possible, and try to follow the guides to keep your machine minimalistic, you should be fine. The way I look at it is Mac's are straight out of the box, and Windows machines need some tweaking. So depending on your computer skill, that's how I'd look at it. Sometimes the higher price can be worth it if you don't feel like or don't know how to tweak your machine.

Tech Mentor

Default It's an idea.

I'm running Traktor with 2x VCI-100 and thoroughly enjoy myself. I use them for independent control of each deck and don't have to worry about shift-states, using the jog wheels for cuing rather than beat-gridding my tracks (I'm lazy, and a lot of my collection - like the disco and funk - don't lend well to it).

Beat-gridding works great for EDM, where the beat is stable and doesn't have much swing. It's primarily used for the 'sync' functionality, which ensures that the beat of each playing deck is...in sync.

The only issue you may have switching from the 300 to the 100 is that the 100 is a smaller unit, and as such the jog wheels are smaller. Uncertain how you'd feel about that.

The other thing: can you borrow your mate's lappy and see if you can get Traktor running with the 300? Would require some jiggery-pokery, seeing as the 300 is HID rather than MIDI, but don't believe it's impossible. You may even be able to route the audio through it, rather than forking out for a new controller AND audio interface.

As far as the machines are concerned, Samsung shouldn't be too bad a brand, but imagine that IBM, HP or Sony would be a better choice.

As an aside: I use Windows for work and play and am thoroughly impressed with what MS have done with 7, but given the ability to afford one, would get a MacBook Pro.

Yes, you do pay a premium versus a similarly-specced machine, but people fail to realise the extent of engineering that goes into it. People need to remember that Apple produce an operating system for a specific set of hardware, resulting in its rock-solid nature. Windows is produced for a heterogeneous set of hardware (custom motherboards, Intel vs AMD, different chipset/feature set combinations).

Quote Originally Posted by Johbremat View Post
    Yes, you do pay a premium versus a similarly-specced machine, but people fail to realise the extent of engineering that goes into it. People need to remember that Apple produce an operating system for a specific set of hardware, resulting in its rock-solid nature. Windows is produced for a heterogeneous set of hardware (custom motherboards, Intel vs AMD, different chipset/feature set combinations).[/I]
    you can't really take universal laws and apply them to the particular; even if we conclude on a universal level that apple because it uses specific hardware it will be more stable then an OS trying to use a variety of hardware it still doesn't directly mean that a particular windows XP OS on a particular laptop won't be just as stable as the particular apple hardware with particular apple OS.

it also applies to health. universal statement is that smoking cigs are bad for your health, but if you compare two individuals, one smoker, one non-smoking, you can't just blankly assume the non-smoker is the more non-healthy of the two...

I'm surely not a pro-windows guy, i only use windows when the software i'm using requires it, otherwise its linux for me.

I firmly believe that alot of the mac/pc debate, like the SSL/traktor debate, is rehashing of marketing slogans/one-liners that are at best universal claims and at the worst virus marketing disguised as discourse.
    -------------

about this thread: just be aware of the hardware downgrade you are making from 300 to 100, the 300 being higher resolution.

i'd try the 300 with traktor like LiveFastStephen posted links too.

as far as laptops IF you are going to go windows, I would find one that is still XP compatible and dual boot. one OS for internet, non-music use. XP partition streamlined for use as a dedicated music partition.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Well being a traktor user, a vci-100 user and a samsung user you can probably guess what I'm going to say.

Go for it with the traktor and the vci!

Samsung laptops are very very good. Mine is just over a year old, and has had no problems. When i take it to uni people assume it's brand new. It out performs every laptop of my friends thats about the same age. This might be because i know how to keep a computer clean and working though.

I also know it has a better hardware to price ratio than all the latops that were around when i bought it. And i know that it still has a better hardware to price ratio than alot of laptops now especially most macs (i'm sorry but macs are incredibly overpriced even if they are silky smooth).

I haven't looked at any of the recent samsung laptop ranges, so can't comment on them. But if they're anything like mine then they're high quality for a good price.

EDIT:

Oh and go for windows 7, best OS i've ever used. It's supperior to XP by a bloody mile and as good as mac OS X, in my humble opinion that is. (I've owned win98, winME, winXP, Vista, and now win7. Also been using macs at uni for many years). Win 7 is so good i bought it twice for my pc and my laptop :P
    Last edited by Mr.Nicklebe; 02-21-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    The Prime Directive - Electro, Disco & House
    My SoundCloud account: www.soundcloud.com/the-prime-directive
    My Design & Animation Website: www.mintyfreshdesigns.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast