Urgent Question for iTunes users
    Tech Mentor

Default Urgent Question for iTunes users

In iTunes Preferences - Advanced if you de-select 'Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library' is your collection still safley saved within iTunes itself? I chose this option and then trashed all my tracks in the Media Folder to save the space on my main drive.
    My tracks still work fine in iTunes but not sure how wise it is not letting them get added to the itunes Media Folder.

Much appreciated any help.

when that option is checked, it copies the files you add to itunes to wherever you itunes media folder is.

mine is in my music, so all my mp3s are stored there.

you can set this folder in PREFERENCES> ADVANCED

Tech Mentor

If you deselect it it does not copy the new files you add to the library into the itunes folder (mac).

I think it's a good idea to have all your music in just one place, wether it's the itunes folder or not. It makes life simpler when formatting or switching to a new computer...

Tech Mentor

I've chosen not to add my collection to my iTunes Media Folder by de-selecting this option. So, is it usually safe to just leave the collection in iTunes alone?
    If the collection is only getting stored in iTunes & not the iTunes media folder, how come no space is getting taken up on my hardrive? Where is iTunes storing all of this information?

Thanks again,
    Last edited by kenty; 02-22-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

(when "copy files to itunes" is unchecked) Say you pull songs from a disc into iTunes, itunes can only play the songs while the disc is still in your computer, otherwise it will say "iTunes can not locate file", Now when "copy files to iTunes" IS checked it does what it says and copys the track to your iTunes Media Folder so after the CD, Flashdrive, External HD, or whatever your pulling tracks from to your iTunes player is out of your computer the songs still play cause there on your hard drive..

iTunes is only reading the original and not adding them to the media folder....
    To add them to the media folder you go to file>library>organise>consolidate after turning the add files to itunes media folder when adding option on.
    Last edited by ohmyjosh; 02-22-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Tech Mentor

Guys i do not know what this is, it must be my wording because no-one still understands what i am trying to say. I'm sorry if i'm not explianing myself cleary, i'll start from the beginning.

I have started to organize my Wavs in iTunes and i do not want the music i add to my library to go into the Media Folder so i have de-selected this option!

Now, my question is; iTunes still plays my collection fine so how is it storing my Music because it is not accesing it from the Media Folder and wierd of all, it is not requiring any hard drive space so just how is iTunes storing my collection & is this a safe/wise method?

On a quick note, i am adding the Music to iTunes from my second internal hardrive not my main.

:eek:
    Last edited by kenty; 02-22-2010 at 05:14 PM.

You could find out where the file is by right clicking on it and going show in explorer/finder or under get info in the summary tab at the bottom...

I would say that how you organise it is up to you, but always have a backup of your music... If you have a system of organising your music that is effective for you stick to that. I myself am happy using iTunes to keep my tracks organised so have the media folder option on...

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by kenty View Post
    Guys i do not know what this is, it must be my wording because no-one still understands what i am trying to say. I'm sorry if i'm not explianing myself cleary, i'll start from the beginning.

I have started to organize my Wavs in iTunes and i do not want the music i add to my library to go into the Media Folder so i have de-selected this option!

Now, my question is; iTunes still plays my collection fine so how is it storing my Music because it is not accesing it from the Media Folder and wierd of all, it is not requiring any hard drive space so just how is iTunes storing my collection & is this a safe/wise method?

On a quick note, i am adding the Music to iTunes from my second internal hardrive not my main.

:eek:
    Itunes requires no disk space for the tracks because it doesn't copy or change the wav files. Itunes instead creates a text-ish file 'collection' which points itunes to the directory where the song is stored. Then if you load itunes that small textfile is read and the songs will be playable.

Ps: if you disconnect the second harddrive and then start itunes from the primary hd, the songs on the second harddrive are not playable.

Hope this answers your questions

Tech Mentor

Yeah thats great guys thanks to all.

Actually my iTunes tracks are on my main drive. Maybe there is a way i can re associate the iTunes directory with my collection on the 2nd hardrive to save disk space on the main. Probs can thanks again guys