DJ battle Charity event, Need input???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJ battle Charity event, Need input???

A local dj in the area where I am at is organizing a Charity Event to raise money for our local red cross chapters.

Happens to be a DJ battle where djs donate their time and talents to help raise money....

We have already gotten several local franchise restaurants helping by offering dinners for two as raffles to help raise money.

Would like to sweeten the pot for at least the dj's. Unfortunately there are no local businesses that sell dj equipment, to help sponsor a prize or two. and with so far 8 djs doing this for free and still adding more dj's. it would be nice to offer the top 3 a little something for the hard work.

Has Any of the members here ever organized something such as this, or know as far as help as to point to some vendors or manufacturers, contacts that would like to, make a contribution.

Link to the page on myspace for the battle
    Tim
    Last edited by djtimmmy; 02-22-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Current Gear: Vestax VCI-100 with DJTT overlay and firmware mod / M-audio Fast Track Pro / Traktor Pro / Windows XP Pro / Korg Nanopad / Akai LPD8 / American Audio MCD-510 / and craploads of other gear

|www.poweralleydj.com||www.myspace.com/dj-tim|

Usually for charity events we will try and haggle with the venue for a percentage of the bar profit, then either split it up between the talent or grab up a few gift certs for a nearby record shop / itunes (or similar) for the battle winners (promoter keeps the rest). Thats done before the venue is announced though...

Most venues will work with you in exchange for a packed house!

Unfortunately I wasn't the one that arranged the venue, and the guy that is doesn't understand the economics of the bar business...

I know that night with 8-10 local dj,s the place will be packed, with a capacity of 600-800 I know the bar owner is going to make a killing that night without having to pay a single dime on the entertainment.

I would have talked into the owner into a take of some of the bar revenues knowing that he is going to have a guaranteed packed house.

The sad thing is that when this dj was working with the bar owner on this, all he was seeing was $$$ flashing before his eyes.
    Current Gear: Vestax VCI-100 with DJTT overlay and firmware mod / M-audio Fast Track Pro / Traktor Pro / Windows XP Pro / Korg Nanopad / Akai LPD8 / American Audio MCD-510 / and craploads of other gear

That is rather unfortunate... Has anyone approached the venue owner to see if he/she is willing to donate anything? Even a few drinks on the house for the Dj's would be cool!

This could also be used as an opportunity to make some money down the road! Winner of the charity battle getting a paying gig at a future party (right before the headliner, if their styles/genres align).

If this venue goes off, work with the owner for the next party. Make it a food drive event. 2 pieces non perishable food and $5 at the door. You keep the door and the venue owner keeps the bar less 3 - 4 drinks for the Dj's (in my area local Dj's (no matter what their status is) will play for a couple free drinks, if they are not already booked). Even if then venue is only half full everyone is still making money and your helping out the local shelter or whatever... Look online for touring Dj's that will be in the vicinity. I can tell you just about anyone touring will play for $100 and a hotel room, because it's a hell of a lot better then not playing anywhere that night and paying for your own room in the next city...

get everyone to chip in on some gear? like some m447's or some good cans?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Thought about that. most of the guys are like the rest of the us economy, Broke.

As an update some industry players really stepped up....

As earlier I posted that Qsc Audio donated some goods, so did the ADJA (American Disc Jockey Assoc), they gave us a free 1yr membership.

Promo Only just set us up with a free 6 mos sub for a winner. And Ultimix Records also is sending us some nice goodies....

Mobile beat magazine is also ending us a hand getting me in touch with some people and also going to help promote.

It's great to see these companies really stand behind the DJ's and the Trendsetters. this whole thing is going to be a blast

that's awesome to hear man, big ups to you guys setting it up and the companies for supporting you. let us know how it goes man
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

will do man.... ill have a ton of pics and videos when we do this.

dude charity and a battle? this sounds badass as fuck. good luck to u dude, sounds like something id wanna be a part of. hope it goes well.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Wizard

Battle of the DJ's? That's a good idea but I've never heard it anywhere else, are they common?
    Also, good luck and stuff for the night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast