traktor browser expansion software
    Tech Mentor

Default traktor browser expansion software

I have submitted some ideas to the suggestions forum of NI, but I fear those will be just ignored.

Track associations
    http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=97852

Adding custom labels to tracks
    http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=104872

IMO the file browser is just dumb, and in the digital era we need better tools to navigate our huge libraries. Everytime I use traktor I think I'd love to have those features...

SO... Being a flash developer, and having checked that the traktor library is basically an XML... I think I'm going to develop those features myself in an Adobe AIR application.

My idea is that you'd need to have traktor open, and also my library expansion software. Instead of browsing in traktor, you'd browse in my app, and then somehow switch to traktor and just load the next track there. Of course I still need to figure out a lot of stuff.

In theory you could even browse a flash with midi, from your controller.

The thing is if I'm going to do that work, I want to do it right, and I'd like to know if you have other great ideas to implement in the extended browser.

Tech Wizard

I think you are going to find the "then somehow switch to traktor and just load the next track" part pretty difficult, unless Air can programmatically send drag and drop/keyboard/mouse events to Traktor, your users will have to use the mouse to load tracks which isn't ideal.

Unfortunately, Traktor doesn't have any sort of API you can use to "load file x to deck A", I believe in previous versions you could open a file with Traktor and it would load it for you.

The features you suggested are already in my Trainspotter Java app. Although Trainspotter was never really meant to be a replacement for the browser in Traktor you can drag and drop tracks into Traktor from it.

I think Rapid Evolution managed to solve the track loading problem by programmatically dragging and dropping from the RE browser to known points on the screen where the Traktor decks were.