Livid Instruments: The Builder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Livid Instruments: The Builder

hey there.. just found a new (and imo pretty easy) way to build your own midi controller..

Quote Originally Posted by createdigitalmusic.com
    * The Brain: USB-powered, bi-directional MIDI board – class-compliant, with no drivers needed (including on Linux). Use open-source software to configure and program it, then connect what you need – even more-complex features like multiplexing buttons and LEDs. (Hint: it’s tricky to do on your own unless you’re a pretty advanced hardware person.) Connect to your computer or hardware via USB and standard MIDI in/out DIN (so yes, this works for hardware synth and drum machine fans, too). Note that this chip also supports OSC (OpenSoundControl), so support for that in the future isn’t out of the question.
    * Add-on boards: Push, Slide, Turn, and Breakout modular boards make it easy to tack on features, like buttons, faders, pots, and monome-style grids, in any combination you desire. Once you use the board, you can choose an arrangement you desire – including even deviating from the grid.
    * Components: Finding the right parts can require some trial and error, so Livid will also sell the ones they use on their control surfaces. Sure, LEDs aren’t difficult to select, but getting the right rubber keypad or potentiometer can be a lifesaver.
    more here:

http://blog.lividinstruments.com/?p=1034
    http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_builder.php
    Last edited by basspenetrator; 02-24-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

this is amazing!!! and perfect timing!!!

yeah, pretty dope
    !
    Vista | Traktor Pro 2 | VCI-400 EGE | VCI-100 Arcade | MF Pro Beat Masher | MidiFighter Classic (pics)
    Soundcloud

Damn, you beat me too it. Just got to my RSS feed today and saw this. It supports OSC and looks pretty plug and play... drool.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

I'm not sure of this yet but an involved project might end up being pretty expensive.
    The brain is 199, and the fader/knob/button pcbs at 12 bucks a piece, do you need those pcbs or does it just make for a tidier soldering setup.
    Its pretty badass tho, and the specs for inputs and the software edittor sound inspiring. I just hope I can build something interesting with it and not spend a grand

It just occured to me with the monome pads... time to build a monome 256 clone.
    Mmm...
    The 40h kits never interested me, the shit daedelus does with beat indexing on the 256 has had me lusting for a 256 for a long time

Oh-oh, this is going to get expensive...

This begs the question "how big is too big?". If you look at the X4, it is a monster truck to gig with, but any smaller and you get the mcpsi (most controls per square inch) issue of the new American Audio. A VCI-100 is a great size, but put 4 deck controls on there and you will need tweezers to turn the potties. What is the size limit for a gigging controller? No use having Mission Control at home and a VCI for gigging (or do you disagree?).

But this Builder does get the creative juices flowing.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I think the thing with Livid is that price is not an issue.
    If your on a budget Livid arent for you, They arent wooly hippies like Monome.

The Ohm 64 is a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I think the thing with Livid is that price is not an issue.
    If your on a budget Livid arent for you, They arent wooly hippies like Monome.

The Ohm 64 is a thing of beauty.
    Yeah no doubt, but no one trying to assert that. I'm just saying its not clear if you NEED those extra pcbs to interface a potentiometer to the main boards inputs. If you did that would definitly limit the types of projects one would consider it for if ones main goal was the end product of having a controller vs the experience of just making a controller. Like if I just needed a mixer controller and didn't give a shit about the diy experience, it would be more financially feasible to just modify a cheap shit controller with premium parts. But if I needed something like a monome 256, it wouldn't really make sense to hack that many launchpads lol

The guy in the video does a - errr - fantastic job of selling it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast