Warped in Ableton - export - play in Traktor without Beatgrid?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Warped in Ableton - export - play in Traktor without Beatgrid?

Hi guys - this is my third post as I posted in wrong section before reading sticky... Apologies. So go easy on me.

Basically I moved over to using ABleton a while ago (from standard Vinyl CDJs) and I'm not really enjoying it so more. To get things sounding good and decent effects working well it takes up too much time, so you spen a lot of your time playing with your template instead of just playing. Currently use a UC33e witha An Echo Expresscard soundcard.

Essentially I'm moving over to Traktor as I've found it much more fun, effets work well and the looping seems great (one of the real positivies in live). Probably going to invest in a VCI100 & Kontrol X1 to get started and my UC33e can back up and be used for the other decks. Sufficeint for some 4deck fun?

There's the preamble... So: I now have literally thousands of pre-warped tracks from ableton, andI don't really fancy having to beatgrid again all my existing tracks(I will be using sync for tight looping/creative mixing). So my question is - once I've exported the warped track from ableton as a complete audiofile, will it work out the box in traktor for syncing, or will I still need to beatgrid it?

Any helps tips/advice on my transition over to traktor welcome.

Big thanks!

Luke

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Hey man,
    For tracks to stay in sync in permanent SYNC mode they have to have Beatgrids.
    Tracks that are dead on BMP will stay in sync but the SYNC button will not stay lit and the sync mode is momentary.

Also for perfect FX they are tied to the Master Clock so if your bpm is slightly out the FX wont be synced.

Even if a track is warped in Ableton the BPM can still be slightly different in Traktor therefore gridding is essential.

The good news is that of you have warped your tracks and they are correct it will tale just a few seconds to place a beatgrid on the first down beat.

You will be glad you spent the time gridding trust me.

Welcome to the Traktor side of life.

K

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You can set your BPM range and have it set an auto-grid but that's not perfect 100% of the time.

You're best off beatgridding your tracks, but once you get good at this, with a pre-warped track you know the tempo to, we're talking a 5 second investment of time per track.

And you don't NEED grids to play in Traktor, either, it just makes things a lot smoother.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

No certainly dont need grids at all. When im playing funk and hiphop i dont use grids at all.

Im guessing (assuming) though that coming from an Ableton background he will wont be manually keeping in sync and he is probably gonna use FX and maybe 4 decks.
    For synced FX and 4 decks you need grids.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated - so basically, it's definitely worth me investing the time to export my warped tracks from ableton, and continue to pre-warp new tracks and export. (This I don't mind as I can warp well & quickly)

Then import said exported&warped tracks to Traktor and drop in a beatgrid, which should (assuming correctly warped) sit nicely and require minimal fuss.

Have I got this correct?

EDIT For Karlos: You're exactly right mate

Also what're your guys thoughts on my proposed setup?

Again thanks for helping a Traktor nooob

Karlos is right, for all the bells and whistles you will need grids, definitely. Cue points and saved loops might even become a necessity.

If you can warp well and quickly I can't imagine it'll be much of an issue dropping a beatgrid. Especially if you know the BPM solid.

So yeah, your process makes sense, and will provide a VERY awesome Traktor experience.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Karlos is right, for all the bells and whistles you will need grids, definitely. Cue points and saved loops might even become a necessity.

If you can warp well and quickly I can't imagine it'll be much of an issue dropping a beatgrid. Especially if you know the BPM solid.

So yeah, your process makes sense, and will provide a VERY awesome Traktor experience.
    Sorry if I'm being dense here, but what do you mean by "Especially if you know the BPM solid."? As long as I know the exact BPM I'm laughing?

Very glad to hear it my method will creat a sound environment for Traktor - very much looking forward to a more interactive and enjoyable DJ experience!

Also what are your thoughts on my proposed initial hardware setup?

As long as you are definite on the BPM, you'll be golden and will make setting a beatgrid a LOT easier.

A VCI-100 and a Kontrol X1 will be just fine, and the UC33 will give you any extra faders and knobs you might need. The X1 will be a good solid control for decks A/B and the VCI can handle all the extras.

You might want to set the UC33 to work in Ableton and route them together. Bento has a whole bunch of posts and articles on how to do that. Can get the best of both worlds.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Brilliant - so as long as the BPM I warped the track at in ableton is the same as traktor I'm laughing? Sorry to keep pushing the point just want to make sure I've got it!

Nice to hear the proposed setup will be ample for my needs - from my research it looked right! The Kontrol works right out the box but VCI100 will need configuration?

In theory I like the thought of routing them both, but I think I best learn to walk before I can run . I think I'll stick to getting my head firmly sorted around traktor first before I get invloved in routing Traktor & Ableton. But thanks for the heads up and I'll def do some research into it.

Aside from this forum - you know of any good resources/info on getting setup/started?

Again big props & thanks mate, all very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by luked_ View Post
    Brilliant - so as long as the BPM I warped the track at in ableton is the same as traktor I'm laughing? Sorry to keep pushing the point just want to make sure I've got it!
    Pretty much, you just need to input the BPM and set a beatgrid on the start on a beat - and everything will sync all hunky dory. Very easy to do if you know the exact BPM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast