Djing digitally

Thread: Djing digitally

Tech Convert

Default Djing digitally

Hey!

I want to convert from analog to digital djing.
    I would like to use the same or a similar setup to Ean Goldens in his tutorial video "setting up digital dj gear in a club". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeevazoXGMg

I have a Presonus Firebox, a Numark DXM06 mixer and two Denon DN-S1000 CD players. As of now, I dont have any studio monitors, just a cheap surround setup from Logitech. The Numark/Denon/Logitech setup works fine, but I have not managed to incorporate the Presonus Firebox.

Is it possible to record my mixing through the Firebox (or any other way) which is connected to my laptop (a Macbook Pro)? If yes, how?

Is it possible to use traktor as a CD player like Ean does in his tutorial video "Setting up digital dj gear in a club"?

What about Ableton Live, any ways of integrating Ableton into my current setup?

With kind regards,
    hugmac

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You don't NEED to studio monitors to DJ. In fact, I wouldn't recommend em cause they flatten the sound and that's not what DJ sets sound like.

It is possible to record your mixes. What you'd do is run a booth or auxiliary out to your Firebox and record in some sort of software (Audacity, for example).

You can implement any software, just depends on how you do it. The issue with using external decks and internal software is syncing it together by ear, but if you can do it then rock out.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Thank you so much for your answer, really appreciate it

However could you explain closer, sorry but I am new to digital DJing and my cable knowledge and routing skills are very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    You can implement any software, just depends on how you do it. The issue with using external decks and internal software is syncing it together by ear, but if you can do it then rock out.
    With kind regards,
    hugmac

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

On the routing.

The back of your mixer has a Balanced Out and a Master Out. You can get a converter at Radioshack to run the MINI cable of your logitech speakers to RCA. You get MINI-Female to RCA Male. That will run the Master Out to your speakers.

Then you get a pair of Quarter inch cables. Run those from the Balanced Out to the Quarter Inch ins on your firebox (either the front two Ins or the Line Ins on the back). Those are going to be used as your Ins when you record. In Audacity (which you can find a link to with a search on this forum) you can now record your sets.

As far as implementing with Ableton or Traktor, that's where things get complicated. Before you worry about that I'd say learn the basics of how all this stuff works.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall