Your way to the "right Genre"
    Tech Wizard

Default Your way to the "right Genre"

So Fellas,

im collecting music for quite a while now and there is no end to music that i need to have... (i am buying my stuff so do not start hating)

right now i am preparing my music collection for the ordered overlay, black Knobs and the FW upgrade. (really looking forward to start in the second it arrives, right after the FWupgrade... )

So in the process of looking for the "complete id3 Tags" i wondered how you guys decide which genre (electro, deep house, electro house, trance, happy hardcore, funky house, tech house, techno, minimal, minimal house what the F!!K) you'll choose!!! Is there a good way how to manage the genres, a good way to decide if it is funky house or disco house and so on?

i tried to stick to this http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
    but maybe there is a better way.

PS: i am not the best in the english laguage so be patient please.
    best regards from germany

PPS: if there is already a thread about this that i managed to oversee then tell me and ill delete this one. dont want to be the 10001st "how do i get the best new tracks without paying" post

MaxPower
    Last edited by MaxPower; 02-24-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Start off broad mate. What i do is lump all the House, Techno, and Trance into one genre and then make crates within traktor that are more specific. e.g. funky/electro house 125-130 BPM. Up to you but once you get everything all organised properly, it makes things a lot easier when playing out.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

group by general genre, house, techno, trance, then sub divide, tech house, miami house, minimal techno progressive trance. you can then further subdivide from there if needed.

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys. Ill try it this way but everything is in my itunes on a mac so the folder thing wont work... thats a little downside for mac users! ill try to sort by playlists and go from there. Thanks again for your replies...

Tech Mentor

ive actually been reworking my entire collection over the passed few months. basically what i did was took everything and renamed all the tracks a certain format (artist_track_remix). i then made sure all of the genres was right (house, techno, trance). then, in traktor, i sub genred everything (house-miami, house-tech). it was super helpful

I use itunes for all my music. And the playlists I make there translate over to traktor. Smart playlists + Traktor = Very easy

I'm not too anal about genre naming. I just go with general names, like electro, house, and disco. I don't really bother with specifics, like tech house, funky house or whatever. i usually know the songs I'm playing well enough to be able to think of another song that sounds similar.

Saying that though i'm incredibly obsessive about song name formats. The names have to be correct, gotta have a fair star rating, and be in all the appropriate playlists. The playlists one isnt too hard to maintain with smartplaylists though.
    The Prime Directive - Electro, Disco & House
    My SoundCloud account: www.soundcloud.com/the-prime-directive
    My Design & Animation Website: www.mintyfreshdesigns.co.uk

I'm like Mr. Nicklebe. Generic formats are fine by me. I find that having more folders complicates things.

Tech Wizard

That is what i am doing over the last weeks. Checking every name, year, picture and so on... In That process i stomble over old music that i dont like anymore or is from the time it was ok to have 128kb. So my library is shrinking and gets organized.

Its a pain in the a!! but it really is handy to have everything in order. Also found old really GOOD stuff i completely forgot about