CDJs vs. Vinyl?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CDJs vs. Vinyl?

Default CDJs vs. Vinyl?

Hey guys, I know this is forum is mostly about digitally djing, but I have run into a problem and I couldn't think of anywhere else to go.

I made a mixtape a few months ago and a guy who does local events liked it. He's basically offering a booking oppurtunity, however he said they only book people who can play on CDJs or Vinyl. I've only ever used my X-session pro.

So. I was thinking about picking up either a CDJ-200 or a Technics 1200, because this is now the second time that my midi controller only technique has gotten in the way of a good opportunity.

How hard is it to pick up beatmatching if I've been using my midi controller for about 2 years now and basically understand the concept and execution. I've just never practiced.

Also, I think it's lame of event promoters to only book hardware DJs because many of the techniques and tricks I use to make my dj set better rely on the software (i.e. quantizing and harmonic mixing)

Thanks guys.

it depends...
    some peeps pick it up in a few days, others (like one of my mates) never learn to put a record straight.
    But if you thinking about buying a CDJ, do yourself a favor, pick a better one like the 400 instead of the cdj200.

spinning records (the black plastic things) is somewhat more difficult, you need to be more tender and have to deal with warped records and stuff.
    Y M C A !

2x 1200sl, Denon MC-6000, VCI-100 SE Arcade, Midifighter, BCR 2000, Traktor X1, Tracktor Scratch Pro, Pioneer 600 mixer, a mother in law (for sale!) and loads of coffee!

Eh?

Why is he saying that? Honestly that is nonsense.

Don't buy cdjs or vinyl for that reason because once you learn how to use em, you'll just go back to your midi set up and they will just sit there.

Tell the dude you can mix on cdjs but that you're a controllerist. If he liked youre demo why would he care how it was made???

He just doesn't understand what he is talking about. Tell him controllerism is the future then show him this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgkWtND-IE
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Is this guy adversed to those who use timecode vinyl ?

You could use a timecode setup along side with your unit - you wouldnt even really have to learn how to beatmatch because your visual indicators will help you beatmatch easily.

Thats not to say that you shouldnt learn to beatmatch without visual indicators !

PS. I agree OP should learn to beatmatch!

But investing in cdjs or decks because of a couple of promoters archaic opinions is not worth it IMO.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Do not take this as an attack, it's an honest, bullshit free opinion which should be taken for whatever it's worth. If you listen, cool, if not - hey that's your choice

Alright, heres the deal:

As a DJ, your job is to master your craft, be it any medium. It's completely acceptable of course to have preferences when it comes to how you get the job done, but regardless - I cannot stress this enough: learn your job without the crutch of waveforms, sync buttons, beat grids, and quantization.
    Being a capable DJ without the aid of your computer is the single best thing you can do for yourself.

Your job is not to argue what the future is, why it's better, or why he should think it is. It is not his mandatory job duty to cater to your devout controllerist mentality, and while accepted and encouraged here, others are also not going to share your views. If he makes reasonable accommodations, awesome - but if not, you should be able to roll with whatever situation is thrown at you.

In all honesty, consider investing in a pair of decks to train yourself properly, not because he told you to - but because you should anyway. If you are playing out, there is no excuse as to why you cannot perform fundamental functions of your craft.

Trust me, you'll gain a new appreciation, a higher sense of confidence, and become a well rounded practitioner of your craft

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Do not take this as an attack, it's an honest, bullshit free opinion which should be taken for whatever it's worth. If you listen, cool, if not - hey that's your choice

Alright, heres the deal:
    CUT
    I agree.
    First I learned how to BM on tapedecks (in the 80s, with selfmade pitchcontrols), then on turntables, then on cdj and now I like to fool around with controllers.

It's like having sex, learn it with a condom first and gain some experience before you step into the real thing
    Y M C A !

2x 1200sl, Denon MC-6000, VCI-100 SE Arcade, Midifighter, BCR 2000, Traktor X1, Tracktor Scratch Pro, Pioneer 600 mixer, a mother in law (for sale!) and loads of coffee!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FUFR View Post
    I agree.
    First I learned how to BM on tapedecks (in the 80s, with selfmade pitchcontrols)
    Thats some baller shit right there lmao

Tech Mentor

you could learn beatmatching on midi controllers as well...get some deck controllers like the eks xp-5 or xp-10 and just don't use all the little helpers traktor has to offer (e.g. waveforms, sync, beatgrids, snap, quantize...).
    that way you can learn how to beatmatch manually like you would do on a pair of CDJs, well, except for changing CDs
    Stanton SCS3 System

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast