looking for a seriously small controller
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default looking for a seriously small controller

Hi guys!
    I'm building a controller setup merged into a stage outfit, and for this I'm trying to have a small midicontroller strapped on my left arm, basically for navigating through my libary.

For this I need a rrrreally small midicontroller with just a few buttons. I have a korg nanoPad, but it's just a bit to big.
    I tried using a modified qwerty keyboard, but I can't find a HID-MIDI-converter that's works and is not crazy expensive. Plus I'm skeptical to separate software running alongside my digital dj software, it's one more thing that can screw up.
    I was thinking of utilizing my iPhone with touchOSC, but I really need tactile buttons for this, I need to use it blindfolded.

As a last resort, I'm thinking of building my own controller from skratch, based on HaleMicro's UMC controller(link). But that'll be a lot of money for something that has a 50/50% chance of working at all.

I'm documenting the building process over here(link), by the way.

Do you guys have any ideas? Are there any midicontrollers out there, smaller than the Korg nano line?

Tech Mentor
    @Twumpy

yeah, very much like that, but obviously, not a big dial. I need some buttons, dude.
    But thanks.
    Anyone else has some ideas?
    Last edited by Meneldor; 02-26-2010 at 05:13 AM.

Tech Mentor

Sorry, thought you wanted to just navigate? You should be able (I don't have personal experience on this device) to map it like
    scroll: up/down
    click roll: left/right,
    click: select
    @Twumpy

Good point there.
    I'm using serato first and foremost, so what I need is:
    up/down
    tab (to change crate focus)
    load left deck
    load right deck.
    and if the dj gods permit me, undo load, for when I screw up =)

Tech Wizard

Iphone/ipod touch with touchosc?

yeah, I mentioned that. But I need to be able to operate this thing blindfolded, touch controls are a no go.

Tech Mentor

Can't remember anymore since I sold my Serato, but can you assign those to the keyboard? You could then use a separate numpad. Maybe there are even some with bluetooth?

You're right, that Powermate wouldn't do it alone. Akai/Korg nanopads are the second smallest midi controllers I know. Behringer used to make BCN-44, can't remember the exact measurements, though.
    @Twumpy

yeah, I've tried the numpad solution. But the shortcuts I need to access isn't available on the numpad (ctrl, tab), and if I go the other way and translate the numpad's HID into MIDI, I need some software for that. And the software is all crap. So it appears all HID controllers are out of the question, unless anyone knows of HID-MIDI translation software for mac that actually works and is not super expensive (Bome, I'm looking at you).

The BCN-44 is nice, and could be modified, but it uses old school midi connectors. USB is the way of the future, I don't want to bring an extra sound interface to gigs just to hook up legacy cables.
    Last edited by Meneldor; 02-26-2010 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldor View Post
    yeah, I've tried the numpad solution. But the shortcuts I need to access isn't available on the numpad (ctrl, tab), and if I go the other way and translate the numpad's HID into MIDI, I need some software for that. And the software is all crap. So it appears all HID controllers are out of the question, unless anyone knows of HID-MIDI translation software for mac that actually works and is not super expensive (Bome, I'm looking at you).

The BCN-44 is nice, and could be modified, but it uses old school midi connectors. USB is the way of the future, I don't want to bring an extra sound interface to gigs just to hook up legacy cables.
    You could use the free vesion of bomes, i think that will do what you want

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast