DJ Agencies?

Thread: DJ Agencies?

Tech Guru

Default DJ Agencies?

So I spotted a link for a DJ Agency and thought I'd check it out. The website had a list of all the DJ's on the roster and how they'd been booked gigs in big clubs all over the world due to the agency.
    I thought I'd sign up to see what the crack was. I received an email saying "we have decided to put you on our books, please read and agree to the DJ code of conduct to finalise your application". I read through the details and finally found what I was expecting; a paragraph saying how they don't operate on a percentage bases per booking but instead you (the DJ) pay a fee upfront for any one of their package deals.
    Upon reading this I Immediately dismissed the whole thing. I instantly thought of those misguided little 18yr old girls who are promised a job in the glamour industry, all they have to do is pay £500+ for a portfolio... you know the rest of the story.
    So anyway, just wanted to find out any thoughts or experiences on the subject. Anyone paid for this kinda thing? If so am I right or wrong in thinking the company is going to take your money and you could spend the rest of your life waiting by the phone for them to call? Anyone belong to an agency that has got them work? Do they operate the same way or do they take a percentage (how I'd sooner operate)? Another other comments on the matter?

Would be interested to know more.

Peace

you don't pay to be on an agency... don't let them scam you. an agency works off percentages, basically a fee that is worked into the cost of clubs and promoters booking you. each agency is different on what the percentage/fee is, but its not someting you pay up front...

I have been on 3 different agencies. right now i am in between agencies here in the usa. i am currently negotiating with an agency not based in the usa...

what is your street cred, and how is your booking schedule right now? are you a producer or just a dj? that may help me make some suggestions to you on how to approach agencies. sorry, i don't really know anyting about you so its hard for me to make suggestions to you....
    Last edited by LanceBlaise; 02-26-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Tech Guru

Exactly! Pay to play?... No way!

But, has anyone, I don't want to say 'fallen' as this might touch a nerve with someone, but has anyone paid for a service of this nature? If you're not too afraid to admit it.

Agreed. I help run a boutique management firm out of Los Angeles and for every DJ we take on, there is an initial investment on our part to put together their press kits, business cards, and whatever promotion materials necessary to get them booked. We recoup that cost through the booking fee which is tacked on ontop of the artist performance rate. If an agency is asking you to pay any kind of fee up front, it is either a scam or they are operating in a business model foreign to the status quo of the industry.
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

not sure what kind of music you spin, but there are a few i know of that are pretty big: this way up agency (http://www.twuagency.co.uk/) and household management (http://www.householdatlanta.com/agency/, says atlanta but they manage artists all over the world).

still, advice on how to approach these agencies would be helpful as i'm trying to get hooked up with some myself.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition