EKS otus

Thread: EKS otus

Tech Student

Default EKS otus

Hi guys im pretty new to this site and this is my first post!

i was wondering if anyone owns are have used the EKS otus midi control?

can anyone give m there honest opinion on it?

thanx in advance!

Tech Mentor

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest using the search function which can be found left of quick links tab on the top right.
    @Twumpy

Tech Guru

I've used one, I love the overall feel and quality, but these are my gripes:

- The touch control surfaces are very glossy can resistant to smooth movements.
    - The mouse touchpad can't detect diagonal movement very well.
    - The pitch control is very awkward to get down, namely with pin point accuracy given that the only feedback on values is multiple illuminated LED lights.
    -The platter is very "lax" with grabbing the waveform in Traktor 1.2.1, I have version 1.2.3 and it works considerably better now.

I'm personally waiting on the Otus Raw as it will sport some major improvements over the original, but either way, both decks are really great.

If you're coming from a background of playing decks or cdjs, there's a good chance you'll like it a lot. It retains a lot of the nice things about the older mixing paradigm. I like not touching the laptop while playing, and this enables that well.

The pitch fader ribbon strip takes a *lot* of getting used to, but I've forced myself to practice using it. I take it to house parties and clubs which don't have turntables and end up button-syncing anyway, so it really isn't a huge bother.

Setting it up to play in less than three minutes is also a really huge plus for me.

Most people who see it are duly impressed with the lights and all, and a lot of other DJs are always very curious about it. More than a few very stubborn Serato users have admitted wanting one to give Traktor a good, honest try.

Tech Guru

It's a head turner for sure, I'm not a fan of the weird little knobs on the 4 corners, but they are nice for crate navigation.

But yeah, the pitch ribbon is super funky at first, even with due time getting used to it, it still strikes me a little odd. The Raw has two pitch sliders and pretty much sold me right there, I believe it solidifies the controller very well.

It's also nice because the Otus can perform as a mixer w/ two decks depending on which TSI you load. I never really used it much, but either way, it's a cool concept.

Another massive plus with me: USB powered.

Tech Mentor

I'm selling one pm me if interested

where are you? UK?
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella