After a soundcard. Don't want to go overboard

Default After a soundcard. Don't want to go overboard

Hi all!

So I have finally had the funds to start getting more involved in music and my gear is slowly growing. I'm still at the point in where I can't decide on what I want for DJing though.

I currently have a custom pc, Ableton, Reaon, a APC40 and a Axiom 61. So making up my own stuff and DJing in Ableton is currently going OK. However most of the time I just want to mess around with music and I currently don't have any hardware to do that. So I will tell you what I think I might do and you can point me in the right direction. This should help in the choice of soundcard.

I like the idea of CDJs/VCI-100. However I also like the idea of Vinyl. One thing is for sure though is I prefer the digital route. So Traktor or Serato (and with The Bridge coming it makes it harder deciding on purchases).

So I am thinking in the future I may get:
    A Behringer DDM4000 (the midi and price won me over)
    A CDJ 400
    A single deck (sadly I have run out of desk space)
    Something like the VCI-100.. but I'm worried I will buy this when I should have bought a ITCH controller.

I can't get all of these things at once but what I don't want to do is buy a soundcard and then be limited down the line. However I also don't want to buy a soundcard which is overkill.

So can anyone help me out here?

Thanks very much,
    Tobes

If you want to use timecode then you'll need to buy SSL or Traktor Scratch Pro, both of which cost $$$ and come bundled with soundcards.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I was thinking of getting the AK1 or Audio 8 DJ. Would it not be possible to get a Audio 8 DJ and then the timecodes and software separate when if I get a deck sometime?

Tech Guru

you can get the audio 8 soundcard separate but its cheaper when you buy the whole package...
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    I was thinking of getting the AK1 or Audio 8 DJ. Would it not be possible to get a Audio 8 DJ and then the timecodes and software separate when if I get a deck sometime?
    A MASSIVE NO is the answer to that.

To do it that way would cost a fortune.

The timecode in the shop is meant as replacement or supplement to peoples existing timecode.

When you buy any Scratch package the timecode is included. You dont need to buy it twice.
    If you buy the Audio 8 now and wish to upgrade from Traktor Pro to Traktor Scratch Pro you HAVE to buy a package. The software is not available on its own. You would but the Traktor Scratch Pro Upgrade for owners of the Audio 8. (includes DVS plugin/timecode)

Definitely study the products pages to get this info fully understood as it is pretty complicated at first.

If you wish to use timecode with Traktor you HAVE to use an Audio 8 or Audio 4 or a TSP Certified mixer.

Hope that helps

K

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    you can get the audio 8 soundcard separate but its cheaper when you buy the whole package...
    yea...I made the mistake thinking I could do that...nooope...

good thing I realized before the stuff even shipped so I could get my money back.

I just went ahead and bought the whole traktor scratch package. The audio 8 DJ is totally worth it...

The only problem with buying the package is I don't own decks yet and can't say when I will. So maybe I forget the timecode thing and just get the AK1.