Switching to vinyl?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Switching to vinyl?

So after about a year with the vci-100, I find myself in a hard place. I recently went to a club to see a dj play a hard techno set. I have really only see DJs play with cdj's and mixers, so I was surprised when I saw this DJ running vinyl. Where I'm going with this is after watching his set I was thoroughly impressed with the performance, there is something in the performance on the tables that really intrigues me and I would love to get a set of turntables to go with my ddm-4000 mixer. However I think I would like go the time coded route, unfortunately I know absolutely zero about this process, (getting ready to pay my dj dues ) so I was wondering if anyone has any good links to resources I might be able to read, or if anyone wants to share their knowledge that would be abwesome! Thanks!

Tech Guru

You'll need at the very least an Audio 4 for 2 turntable timecode. As far as turntables go, my vote is for the trusty Technics SL-1200 or 1210, they're tanks, they perform solid, and have a great feel. Theres other options though.

As far as needles go, if you want a nice headshell mounted one, I recommend the Shure M44-7, it was a standard for scratch DJs for a long time, and they had phenomenal tracking force. They're not that pricy either. I would recommend an Ortofon, but in all honesty, I'm not even sure if theres a point in investing $100+ per needle if you're using timecode, at that rate it's pretty much your source music quality.

When you get the needles mounted onto the tone arm, make sure you reset your point of gravity on the tonearm to insure minimal record burn and optimal tracking force without putting too much wear on the stylus itself. This can be attained by:

1.) Rotating the counter balance weight on the back of the tone arm until the tone arm floats over the platter.
    2.) Rotate the weight indicator on the tone arm to 0gm to indicate that point as the floating point.
    3.) Rotate the counter balance weight clockwise until 2.5gm-3.5gm of force is applied to the tone arm.

Easy as that. This is a fairly overlooked procedure when it comes to owning turntables, but it insures that you are getting optimal performance while keeping wear and tear on your expendables (timecode vinyl/needle stylus) to a minimal.

Theres also an article on troubleshooting timecode issues within Traktor on DJTT, I recommend looking for it and educating yourself on how to deal with any potential issues with DVS usage

get 1200's and a audio 4 or 8, hell even look into Serato SL1.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

@ mmauve, thanks for the article recommendation... Here is the link if anyone is interested

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/2...ems/#more-1567

anyone know anything about the Stanton STR8-150 ? It's a little more economical ..

Tech Guru

yup, thats the article, I'd read it front to back, learning stuff like that can really save your arse when timecode gets finicky

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    @ mmauve, thanks for the article recommendation... Here is the link if anyone is interested

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/2...ems/#more-1567

anyone know anything about the Stanton STR8-150 ? It's a little more economical ..
    had a chance to hit up two str8-150s and elcer 310 mixer a while ago. the straight 150s are awesome AWESOME turntables. id recommend them to any style dj, scratch djs love them, but they do wonders for all styles. not only are they not that expensive but they control layout is awesome. nothings really out of place on them.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Guru

Dude, Eclers are hands down my favorite mixer. Rane is great and all, but holy shit. An Ecler Nuo 5/Evo 5 is like a Pioneer DJM-800 had sex with a Rane TTM-56. Tankish, feature rich, and great value.

Their scratch mixers are also ace.

Probably best to learn what you will most likely encounter in a club or rave setting. 9 times out of 10, you will find 2x 1200/10s mk2 or mk5 and probably a DJM 600 or 800. Although, there are those few times where I have encountered Rane 57 and the occassional Allen and Heath.
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Dude, Eclers are hands down my favorite mixer. Rane is great and all, but holy shit. An Ecler Nuo 5/Evo 5 is like a Pioneer DJM-800 had sex with a Rane TTM-56. Tankish, feature rich, and great value.

Their scratch mixers are also ace.
    same here man id take an ecler over any mixer any day. the ecler eternal crossfader is smoking gun and bloody side of the blade when it comes to scratch mixers. the nuo 5 has 4 mothafukin channels dood haha. and endless efx lol.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Guru

I owned an Ecler Nuo 5 for a while, and I LOVED the crossfader for wet/dry effects. Man, put the echo parameter on 2.0 and you could perform fatty double beat jabs over mixes which oozed energy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast