Looking for real bouncy kick drum samples
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for real bouncy kick drum samples

Let me begin by saying that I havent yet found a kick drum sample that I'm happy with. To be fair, I know little to nothing about EQing/compression and I know that that can be half of the battle.

I'm looking for a kick sample that is real bouncy, or some advice on how to do this.

For whatever reason, I can only think of one example of this off the top of my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Y8uRRuRlk

The sound I'm looking for begins at about 0:44. And yes, the video is a bit teenybopper (and almost surely lip-synched), but I also really like it for some reason.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Wizard

um all i can say is: "layering"

you will need to create your own. its obviously more difficult but if you do make your own it will teach you heaps about understanding every aspect of a kick drum, very important for when you try to get a baseline sit well with your kick. there is a "how to make your own kick drum" thread amongst everything else here.
    Gear --> MBP 15" 2.53Ghz 500Gb 7200rpm HDD 4Gb RAM | DDM 4000 | UMX 25 | AK1 | AL7.18 | Traktor Pro 1.2.4

the brunette for sure, , wait, what was the question?

i agree on the layering, and make sure to carve out some freq on each so they fit better.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Mentor

if you don't want to learn then just cut it out of your fav drum track????

cant see you having much fun making music if you dont learn how to make music though.

Tech Convert

This kick sounds to me like a classic 909 kick drum with lots of compression and a little distortion. I think compression is really key for the sound you're after.

Tech Wizard

if your using FLS, u could probably work it out in "fruit kick". i think there are five knobs that u can tweek to your liking. you could make it even bouncier.

Tech Mentor

im not a producer but i don't think distortion would be the thing to use.maybe put it through a tube or valve compressor, so as to give it warmth not degrade or distort it.909 sounds like a good start with a synth drum aswell so you can tweak it till your happy(you'll learn about frequency doing this,buy computer music they've got a frequency chart which can help beginners no end,also videos of pro producers).once you can do this then your ready to learn about compression which is easier to grasp at this stage coz you would understand how you wanted your kick to sound coz you would've made it yourself.as i said im not a producer so could be way off the mark but i used read computer music to help me understand ableton to dj with.thought i try explain my last comment

i just googled it and read that you should have 3 parts to a good kick.a short click in the higher frequencies.a subby frequency and a mid frequency.took me 5 mins to find and read and there were enough details for any beginner to work with.........have you tried any of this?
    Last edited by calvin01; 03-03-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Tech Guru

Layering is key. Distortion on drums always works a treat, adds crunch and harmonics. If you are working with a sample pack or drum hits that come as standard with something you will never find one slamming kick sound. You have to layer single hits to make a new fat hit. Take around 3 kicks, one with nice bottom end like an 808 or 909, one with nice mid range, one with nice top end/attack. Process them all seperately (EQ, compression, distortion etc) but listen to them playing together as a whole. Layer them all together, once you have it sounding the way you want, bounce it down so that it sounds fat on it's own with no plug-ins over the top.
    Or the other way to do it is to find a track with drums you like, and if you can find a section where the drums play with no other instruments, just pinch em and use them. You're only going to build a completely new track around them anyway, a kick drum is a kick drum. Unless you're using drums that are instantly recognisable no one is going to know that you nicked a kick drum from somewhere. You could even pinch someone else kick drum and process it or layer it so it doesn't sound like it originally did, then that way no body will ever know.

Hope that helps

Tech Mentor

distortion for a bouncy kick????am i missing something

Tech Mentor

compress them all seperately?
    Last edited by calvin01; 03-03-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast