DJ Nostradamus: Your Predictions and Prophecies?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default DJ Nostradamus: Your Predictions and Prophecies?

So since the dawn of DJing in the early hiphop parties and discotheques of the 70s we've seen many changes and progression over the years of the craft due to advances in technology and innovations in technique by pioneers and trailblazers in the respective music scenes. The result of this evolution in technology and technique has elevated the DJ from the label of human jukebox to a position that is widely recognized as not only fundamental to many music scenes but an influential one.

Now that the DJ is required to be more involved in the musicality of programming and performing a set than ever before, not only are we seeing a rapid increase in new technology available; but the increased awareness of the craft and availabilty of the tools is forcing DJs to raise the bar and are faced with the ever-growing challenge of bringing something new to the table.

With that said one can only expect more and more technology to be available to us in the next 20 years and more techniques to be spawned out of innovative use of these new technologies. Now I can humbley assume that we as digital DJs are on the cutting edge and always on the prowl for the new; so I really want to know what you guys think the next big things will be?

What do you think will be the next "scratch", what will be the next mash-up, what will be the next serato/traktor???

discuss.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    So since the dawn of DJing in the early hiphop parties and discotheques of the 70s .
    Way off the mark there buddy, DJing has been around for the last 100 years with guys playing on phonographs for people to dance to, the first two turntable set was by Jimmy Savile (of Jim 'ill fix it) in 1947, he had been putting on dance parties since the early 40's and is still going.

Tech Guru

perhaps not the next, but perhaps the eventuality.

Itunes.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I think your both right.
    Jimmy Saville was the first user of twin turntables thats true but DJ culture and crucially, DJ technology grew from the 70s.
    Earlier than that the DJ was just goof who played records and there were no home DJs.

UKs Radio 1 only started in 1967. So ill take the 70s as the start of DJ culture as we know it.

Also the 1210 was made in 1971 so i guess thats also when DJ technology really took off.

Anyway sod that , predictions is the thread topic.

I predict that Traktor will buy up Serato and turn it into a canoe making company.

Duerr, im gonna have to take a while to think on this one mate... Hmm.

Tech Guru

It's like how I sound to my niece and nephews about video games. "Back in my day, we had to blow on our games to get them to work, we had none of that nice CD format stuff"

Instead of that, it will be:

People had to use what to match up tracks?...pitch faders?...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cokin29 View Post
    Way off the mark there buddy, DJing has been around for the last 100 years with guys playing on phonographs for people to dance to, the first two turntable set was by Jimmy Savile (of Jim 'ill fix it) in 1947, he had been putting on dance parties since the early 40's and is still going.
    haha alright tips, i wasn't referring to wax cylinder rag-time box socials. those djs weren't doing anything technical whatsoever and the dj was hardly recognized as an entertainer/performer in those days - atleast not to the extent they have been for the last 40 years. Like i said in the first post it wasn't until the evolution of technology and technique that DJs were even recognized as anything more than a human jukebox, this happened in the 70s with the advent of disco and hiphop.....

but if you're done google wikipedia'ing old news, i'd love to here what you have to say regarding the actual thread topic

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    wax cylinder rag-time box socials.
    I want to go to one of those.

Will you mark my Dance Card Master Duerr for it would give me the greatest of pleasure my kind Sir.

Thank you kindly.

(im calling everybody i meet today "Tips"... fucking hilarious... "Alight Tips, whats new")

Tech Wizard

I expect to see a much greater emphasis on live remixing in DJ specific software. I also think the line between digital DJ and producer will grow ever thinner; there will be an expectation by DJs and punters to produce there own remixes/cuts of most tracks they play.

I also think there will be a 'de-evolution' subculture develop that will have a large following. Vinyl, mixer and headphones only.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I predict a lot more Mac vs PC, Traktor vs Serato vs whatever else is new arguments, someone (probably with the help of Bento) will recreate most of Traktor and Serato's untilization in Ableton with M4L, Pioneer will go under because they staunchly refuse to move beyond the CDJ (long term, not any time soon), Karlos will get drunk (hey, at least something I predict has to be right), a whole generation of kids will have no concept of cue-ing, instead understanding cue-ing as hitting a button to bring you directly to where you want, and DJs will become a LOT more individual in their routines because everyone will be working completely different.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Karlos will get drunk .
    True

I also predict similar progress.
    Faltering , stumbling steps just like now.
    Its took 30 odd years and still we debate if the 1210 is still the best deck.
    How long have we been waiting for USB 3.0
    Serato/Ableton was the talk of the town for ages and turned out to be half what was expected.

The CDJ 2000 was not the groundbreaking machine we were expecting, rather a costly replacement for the 1000.

If ive learnt anything is that everything takes so long its hard to get any kind of view on what will transpire. I think we all crave that 'Big Bang' explosion of technology but its never gonna be like that.

Slow, creeping, company politics and rivalry before quick advancement.
    More sucking of our money from our pockets.
    More crap in my house...

I need a drink.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast