Getting it to wobble right (LFO)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Getting it to wobble right (LFO)

So if you want shit to wobble you use an LFO, only thing is I can't seem to get it to wobble right.
    A wobble is kinda like the word "wow" (imagine the word wow being a crochet length note). If you want a constant flow of wobbles it will go "wowowowowowow". Get me?
    Now, the problem I'm having is making the first note start with the first 'W' in the word 'wow', if that makes sense. So basically if I repeatedly stab a note in order to get lots of single 'wow's' in succession instead of a long constant note that is wobbling, so; 'wow (pause) wow (pause) wow' etc, it will start making the sound with no regard for where the LFO position is. So instead of it going 'wow' every time, it will sometime go 'owow'.
    If you imagine the LFO as peaks and troughs, the 'W' of 'wow' being the trough and the 'O' being the peak, how do you make it so that every time you hit a key it will always start at the trough and not just randomly where ever the LFO happens to be on it's cycle.

Hope all that makes sense.

BTW. I'm working in Logic using the ES2, but the principal is always the same.

Tech Mentor

i think it is a constant note and the lfo gives it the wow factor

to moves notes up and down try pitchshifting(not samples though).in theory if done at the right time i would guess this would work.
    Last edited by calvin01; 03-03-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by calvin01 View Post
    i think it is a constant note and the lfo gives it the wow factor

to moves notes up and down try pitchshifting(not samples though).in theory if done at the right time i would guess this would work.
    Pitch shifting? How is this going to help? I want it so that when I push a key, no matter how fast or slow it will always start with the upwards stroke of the LFO. So from closed to open, like every time, no matter how fast I tap the key.

Jack Bastard

You need an LFO with a setting to re-trigger it on every note press.

How you would do this would depend on what you are using.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    You need an LFO with a setting to re-trigger it on every note press.

How you would do this would depend on what you are using.
    Ok, I see what you're saying. I'm using the ES2 in Logic. I'll have a little play, see what I can find.
    If anyone else knows that'd be sound.
    Cheers

make sure ur lfo is set to sync to tempo?
    [ ms ]

I don't know anything about Logic, but in FL there's a setting about making the LFO 'Global.' If I check that box, the LFO continues to cycle regardless of whether there is a note playing or not. If I uncheck it, the LFO starts over every time the note is triggered.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

You can get your 'wow'(pause)'wow'(pause) by using separate single notes for when you want to trigger the wobble and setting your ADSR settings to taste.

Try starting with a 50% setting on your Attack (A), 0% Delay (D), 0% Sustain (S), 0% Release (R) for your AMP envelope and similar setting on your Filter Envelope.

You should get a Woob sounds. From here you can add some LFO (Turn Retrigger on so it starts the same way each time) and adjust you ADSR setting to taste.

Don't forget to set your Filter Cutoff to taste as well. Adding a little Resonance can sometimes really bring out your Bass.

Despite the fact you are using ES2, these Massive Tutorials can help out alot. All the concepts are the same and can be applied to most other synths.
    http://www.youtube.com/thesoundtutor...773926FA49A855
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Quote Originally Posted by jasonj View Post
    Despite the fact you are using ES2, these Massive Tutorials can help out alot. All the concepts are the same and can be applied to most other synths.
    http://www.youtube.com/thesoundtutor...773926FA49A855
    these vid's are awesome ...bookmarked!

Tech Wizard

coudn't you just automate the amount of the LFO speed? oyou could getsuper fast wobs or super drawn out wobs? i just automate it in FLS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast