what should i do for the time being
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default what should i do for the time being

i have a debt remaining of $1400 on my credit card and i'm waiting till i bring it down to $200 in order to purchase the new xone:dx. i make about $350 a month so it will take me sometime to get the xone:dx. maybe by novemberish or so. hopefully before. although when summer comes i can try to work full time and maybe just take 1 class during the summer semester.

???
    what am i doing right now?

well i have been listening to a lot of songs on beatport. and just adding the ones i like to the "hold bin" where i would purchase. i purchase about 1 song a week. and if i'm HIGH then i will tend to purchase 2-3 a week since i'm "really feeling it"

now i think i'm doing something wrong due to %15 lazyness and %70 unfocused.

i keep playing the same tracks over and over but thats all i'm doing is listening to the tracks that i hope to make a set out of. organizing tracks into different sets. but i think that one of the major thing i should be doing is counting beats (4) and then counting bars? i guess these two things are very important and should be what i should put my time towards since i can't buy any equipment right now ?

any opinions?

SIDENOTE---
    i have decided that i will go w/ the xone:dx cause i can connect cdj's to it. so my goal is to own the xonex, and "keep saving money routine" to getting different cdj's and then an actual mixer and then maybe more stuff along the way. i also wanna get lights that are sound sensitive cause i think i will feel the music more if i have lights flashing w/ the beat.

If you have Traktor, and a current track list, you could always:

- beat grid all your collection
    - set cue points in all your tracks
    - organise them by genre / ranking etc.

By the time you get your new gear, you'll know your tracks so well, and have the benefit of your hard work setting a framework for you to grab tracks that integrate well into your current collection, and pull sets together fast.

Just my two cents....

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by drex View Post
    If you have Traktor, and a current track list, you could always:

- beat grid all your collection
    - set cue points in all your tracks
    - organise them by genre / ranking etc.

By the time you get your new gear, you'll know your tracks so well, and have the benefit of your hard work setting a framework for you to grab tracks that integrate well into your current collection, and pull sets together fast.

Just my two cents....
    but umm xone:dx is coming with serato. ;p maybe there is a serato demo or something i can play around with. my tracklist isnt that large. although i slowly build it every week

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Why would you buy a XoneX to then buy a regular mixer and CD decks? If you want to spin time code then get two cd decks and a mixer. A LOT cheaper than a Xonex and two decks AND a mixer. If you want to mix internally then get the Xonex. But it just seems like an excessive waste of money as a starting DJ to have that much gear.

For now, though, I'd just keep mastering your tracks. Don't just play stuff for that one set. Put together the sets and get different ideas, organize tracks differently, etc.. The laziness and unfocusedness will change once you get equipment to be working on.

[EDIT]

Serato doesn't do demos. You can get the software now but you can't use it without Serato hardware. So you can try and get something used off of eBay/Craigslist, or you wait.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Open another credit card to pay for your current credit card! - debt is MANLY

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Why would you buy a XoneX to then buy a regular mixer and CD decks? If you want to spin time code then get two cd decks and a mixer. A LOT cheaper than a Xonex and two decks AND a mixer. If you want to mix internally then get the Xonex. But it just seems like an excessive waste of money as a starting DJ to have that much gear.

For now, though, I'd just keep mastering your tracks. Don't just play stuff for that one set. Put together the sets and get different ideas, organize tracks differently, etc.. The laziness and unfocusedness will change once you get equipment to be working on.

[EDIT]

Serato doesn't do demos. You can get the software now but you can't use it without Serato hardware. So you can try and get something used off of eBay/Craigslist, or you wait.
    xone-dx is 1300 bucks. i mean you know i would prefer mixer + cdj's. but i don't have the money for that. and that would be more expensive.

although now you just messed me up DvlsAdvct. don't worry its a good messed up you just did. because i just now realized how useless that $1300 spent on the xone-dx would be. simply because i would prefer to get my hands on something that would be exactly the same as i would use in a club. and the xone-dx isn't going to be that. so now i have to spend sometime to look over some equipment.

now since you just got me to realize how i would throw 1300 away. i think i should get somethin cheaper like a vci100 for 400 bucks unless techtools got a vci for like 500 in change. and that would be something i would practice with....idk...

then while i use that to practice i would save money to get piece by piece of my real equipment and have a setup how anyone would at a top-notch club

damn u just made me realized that u wud be throwing money away if i gotten that dx

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Get the gear you want, not the gear the clubs want. I bring my shit to clubs to spin, cause I refuse to use theirs. Granted, I spin some shitty ass places on some shitty ass gear. So I just gave up hoping the decks would be able to read my CDs and went full digital. SO much easier.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Get the gear you want, not the gear the clubs want. I bring my shit to clubs to spin, cause I refuse to use theirs. Granted, I spin some shitty ass places on some shitty ass gear. So I just gave up hoping the decks would be able to read my CDs and went full digital. SO much easier.
    thing is that i'm a no namer and even when i get good at DJing i will still be a nonamers and clubs will require you to use their equipment unless your richie hawtin or luciano. im sure i will be able to bring my own mixer. but honestly i prefer leaving my hard earned equipment at home and just maybe bring the small stuff. im glad i live in nyc. nyc has 800 clubs. making it easy to find a place to spin. the other day i was thinking how i would even prob spin for free just to get accepted to the club + get my name out. i thought that was a good idea at first but then i decided that nah fuck it if i spin at a club i should make some money out of it. since it will be a second job lol. well no im not getting that xone-dx. thanks to you i realized what i should be spending money on. i should def get a midi controller to start off with. i will go with the vci100 which isnt supported on here. cause its not a djtechtools product? only the second edition is? but thats 700+ bucks which i prefer not to spend. i think i saw something else for like 500 bucks

---------edit

ok they have the vci 100se for 549 bucks, i could start practicing with that while i collect piece by piece of my real gear of how it would feel like if i was spinning at a top-notch club like pacha / m2. lol. they have another 100se for 800 bucks.
    Last edited by cutflow; 03-03-2010 at 03:24 PM.

You never ever deejayed and you just got a few tracks and you already think about playing in a club ?!? wtf ?!?
    You should better start with a basic controller if you want to choose the completely digital route or buy some cheap CD-Players and a Mixer for a more traditional way. Then you have to discover if deejaying is really your passion or if its just something thats interesting for a while and then rapidly gets boring.
    Xone 22 -- Kontrol X1 -- A4DJ -- TPro -- 13" MBP

Tech Mentor

actually i found the korg zero4 on a site for 800 bucks. idk if i read it right but this can be used as a midi controller? http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=281

is that right?

well im not thinking about playing at a club that soon lol. maybe in 3-4yrs i will be rdy to start spinning @ clubs.

anyways i'm looking at this korg zero4 and becoming very interested in it. i want opinions on it, such as if i would need to buy anything else to get it to work on my computer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast