manager for a label and dj
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default manager for a label and dj

my friend is convinced that im right for the job... and although im very enthusiastic about it, i highly doubt my abilities. i am young, inexperienced and have no connections but it seems like we clicked on a personal level. anyway he is coming across the pond in the next month to talk about it but i wanted to ask for some comments and suggestions. what goes into being a manager? ... research/promotions/getting gigs? any relatable anecdotes? thanks.

Well there is a big misconception as to what a manager of a dj/producer is to be doing. Lots of people think that your manager is there to get you gigs, but that is not the case. Actually in California, I believe it is against the law for a manager to act as an agent, its called double dipping. I know this because my manager is based in California and she can't get my gigs for me.

Anyways, a manager basically oversees the day to day business affairs of an artist. Managers are there to advise and counsel talent about professional matters and personal decisions which may affect our career. In my case my manager also handles my PR as well as my day to day managerial duties. I speak to my manager at least every 2 days, but she is there to answe my call basically when ever need be. She is also there to find the best booking agent for me, as I have had to really buckle down to find one who is good for me... My manager also helps with my day to day tasks with my label, again mostly guidance and decision making.

If you wanna learn more about my manager, here is her site: http://saracooperpr.com

Tech Wizard

I honestly don't know a first thing about managing/booking, but I doubt that clicking well on a personal level is enough of a qualification to be a manager. I would probably expect hours of mindless spamming on myspace and boards and soliciting promoters. Also good luck getting any business done without any previous experience.

It's not my intention to sound like a dick, but it's just one of those things and jobs where the common sense thing to do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Agreed with Lance. A manager can, however, promote you and connect you with gatekeepers and keyholders who in turn can get you work. Alot of managers do not actively solicit gigs however as that is more of an agents job. Think of it this way, an agent is essentially a sales person who sells you as a product whereas a managers job is to make sure the project is both of quality and profitable. If profitable means raising your visibility and exposure, then their job is also promotion. In converse, the agent will almost never promote the artist outside of a quarterly or yearly press kit.

Also, it is very important to keep your artists healthy as their inability to work will greatly affect the rep of the firm and the artist themself, so keep that in mind as alot of people in this industry mis-use and abuse everything under the sun. I'm not against it, but if one of my artists can't function because of their use, I have no problem talking to them on that level.
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Just curious Lance , at what point of your career did you decided that you needed a Manager? Where you approached by your manager or you looked for her? Is it too expensive?

Cheers
    Last edited by alien2k; 03-04-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: my english sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    Just curious Lance , at what point of your career did you decided that you needed a Manager? Where you approached by your manager or you looked for her? Is it too expensive?

Cheers

Its done on a percentage basis of certain things... and I was originally approached by her to be my PR agent, she handles Carl Cox's PR here in the states, so I knew her from that. As a PR agent i paid her a monthly flat fee, which is how al PR agents work. She then took me on as a manager about 1 year later.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm sure that you have maybe already looked at this but is this person for real? Sounds very strange that you, buy your own admission, are not that experienced or possibly not that skilled why is this person coming all the way across the pond to talk?
    I don't mean to worry you or play this down, as this may be just one of those amazing stories where it all works out, but hey, if I didn't I would hate myself.
    Have you looked at anything that this guy has done? Can he back his story up? How long have you known him? Where did you meet him?
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

+1 with Lance...and,

On a day to day level, a manager is a risk mitigator, contract aware negotiator, semi-legal counsel and all round business aware and switched on advocate of the artists skills, with a personal interest (real or maintained for the artists ego maintenance requirements) in their success.

If you're going to be one, and you don't have the skills, then be careful, because the folks you're going to deal with, while representing your artist - and your new employer - are going to likely be somewhat more skilled, and harder core than you are.

That said, , It may be that this person you have "clicked" with, has identified something in your character that they think is a good fit, both with them, and with their artist(s).

Most of the time, life is all about people, relationships and people skills. The "soft" skills will get you much further in life and business (and management) than any degree, diploma or other "officially recognized certification to practice". A gentle touch in dealing with a difficult situation is remembered much longer than a kick in the head IMO.

If the person flying across the pond to meet you is prepared to take you under their, or an "available" wing, so you can skill up under a "mentor" while your back is covered from the risk side, then it's a good learning and career building opportunity - if it's what you want to do, that is.

If there's no backup, it smells funny, or this person is just cruising for an "opportunity" I'd set Karlos on them.

Any professional management company will have a staff development program, ask about what they're going to do for you, and where they see you being in two and five years from now. Watch to see if they (he, she) blinks.

That's enough from me, hope it's useful, and good luck.

I could be wrong here... maybe I read her original post wrong, but I think the guy coming from overseas is her friend... am I right?

Tech Guru

I'm running a special promotion right now, for a low flat fee of $3,000 a month, I will offer 24/7 pessimism via my cell phone. You can call me anytime for a dose of "don't do it, sounds like hes trying to screw you over"

Any takers?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast