If you were 13, what would you learn to be a dj?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default If you were 13, what would you learn to be a dj?

I just got assigned to teach middle school "technology," which at my school means I can basically have the kids do whatever I want. I have full access to the computer lab and can install whatever program I can afford, as I don't have much of a budget.

I was wondering if anybody had ideas of free or cheap software that I could use to teach prospective dj's things that could open up the world to them. At the same time they are probably not skilled enough with computers, or music, or attention spans to really use complex audio programs. Any ideas?
    Last edited by tads; 03-06-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Tech Guru

kramixer is free....and dont forget google is your friend -_-
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Guru

how long is the class for. You could always download a 30 day trial version of Virtual DJ. If not mixx is also free and has all the basic functions, loop, cue, etc. You could make this a fun class.

i second the mixxx idea, open source is a good route to teach the kids too...

Tech Wizard

I have the class til June, but I have to get in the office suite and I want to squeeze in some graphic design and some music production. Mixxx is genius, I should do that right now.

I wanted to also give them some ideas about music production first so they could mix with their own songs. Any free easy to use music production software?

Get educational versions of Ableton Live. The kids could experiment with simple loops etc...

Banned

Teach them basic midi maybe? It has multiple uses besides music ad it can tech them how to trouble shoot as well.

for music production, there is mulab 6 track free version, or do a search over at kvrforums for free daw there is a handful of them on pc/mac, otherwise if you can go linux there are more free options

I highly highly recommend the PlanetCCRMA distro: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

you get the Real time kernal installed, and a good base of audio software, editors, converters, daws, and i believe they throw a couple of midi sequencers and some trackers.

Tech Wizard

Depending on the operating system, I would either get a lite version of FL Studio, or just Garage Band.

IMHO it would be more productive to teach them the basics of production and navigating around a DAW. It would also give them a better understanding of the music itself - stuff like the bars, the beats, the frequencies, the keys and etc, before throwing the concept of DJing at them.

I was about 14 when I started dicking around with FL, Reason and Adobe Audition (when it was still called CoolEdit). And even though I'm still relatively crap at both production and DJing, it helped me get into DJing - which in turn helped me get better at production.

as they're 13, i'm guessing they're getting the 'sex ed' class soon to? maybe you could do something on how to spot the 'jockey sluts' you should avoid to tie in with that...?

and now back to the topic...

as it's a technology class, how about getting in a tt set, a cdj set and midi set to show the evolution of djing, and how it can be more tied in with production depending on which software you use? would work well with education versions of ableton. they could mix and produce while learning one program/way of working. then they can go which route best suits them off that for a final project, like a 6 min mini mix/track production?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast