[PACHA-NYC]3/07 -- BEST Clubbing experience of my life
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default [PACHA-NYC]3/07 -- BEST Clubbing experience of my life

yoo let me tell you. yesterday, Saturday has been the first day i club in the last 4years. back in 2004-6 i was paying to get in clubs and all that stuff. wasting money for admission n etc.

last night when i met up w/ my friend fabi i knew from 2004. we were waiting for "friends" who we were going to the party with + they were driving. when the car arrived, there were 3 people in the car, a guy in the back w/ me and my friend fabi. then the guy in the front w/ his girlfriend. after driving to the club for 20 minutes. i LEARNED that the two guys already in the car are brothers and they were going to both DJ the opening set of Patrick M. I was so shocked cause my friend fabi didn't tell me anything about that. And the girl in the front, she was in a rock band, singer etc. and then my friend fabi played a cd/ song that he wrote and sang(r&b) that everyone liked and i was impressed cause he never told me about that. so i'm in a car with 4 artists. and that was crazy.

when we got to the club. we were already on the DJ guestlist(more of a record co. guest list which was the VIP guest list). we went in to setup and sound-test the club [WOW I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS @ PACHA-NYC , LAST NIGHT, one of the most popular clubs that everyone talks about in NYC]

We went to the DJ BOOTH on the MAIN FLOOR. shit was hot. i was watching them spin. we had access to the VIP FLOOR, right up from the DJ BOOTH. it was sick. and i didn't pay 1 penny to get in. i placed my coat in the DJ BOOTH. which there were only 5 coats, which was our 5 coats ONLY !! cool again !!!. i saw my friend fabi say whats up to some secruity guards, promoters and people who throw the party at pacha. and i was like DAMMNNN !!!. (in my head)

coatcheck and admission to the club = $80.

i got free drinks, free coat hanger, free admission.

there was a table w/ drinks next to the DJ BOOTH, free drinks baby.

I HAD THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE LAST NIGHT.

it turns out that this friend fabi i have known since 2004. has a bunch of friends who are all promoters. so he always gets text to his phone of parties going on and he gets the guestlist info on his phone as well so he gets in free in every club he goes too.

sometimes my friend fabi is required to go to certain parties, because he is one of the main dancers in his group. like when he dances, people start to make a circle and watch him dance, and i always knew he dance cause he wud show me some tricks when he would be over my house and i put some music on.

10pm, we left the dj booth me, fabi and the girl who was dating one of the DJ's and we went to the VIP lounge to chill with some other people.

I LEARNED SOMETHING HERE.......
    The girl taught me some business information, about the guest-list, like. the reason her bf and his brother are spinning tonight is because the club owners(or whoever) knows that when he spins there, he brings a lot of people to the club w/ his guestlist. and the way they keep track of this is, every DJ has their own guestlist. and at the end of the party or whenever, they will check which dj had the most used guest-list. and those are who are looked as the "valuable dj" so that is who they want to spin at their clubs. so that was good information i took in. and MOST OF THE people who were on his guest-list were all dancers, so there was a lot of people dancing, and then you have the regular-people who were probably not on the guest-list who was standing and watching these people dance.

LAST NIGHT WAS THE FIRST TIME I CLUB IN 4YRS, AND IT WAS THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVER.

thank you

(the DJ's of the opening set i was riding with was = The Bermudez Brothers)

I played the main room there back in 2007 when on tour. They had a pretty nice booth set up in there. Staff was pretty nice too. It was a great night, all in all.

on a side note.... the thing about how your friend's brother gets to play in there because how he brings people is basically what the owners want. The owners want their local talent to bring in people for the early part of the night till the headliner goes on, or when there is no headliner they want someone local who has a decent amount of people who come out for them. This should stress to the young DJs on the importance of promoting yourself and working hard to build a following....

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    I played the main room there back in 2007 when on tour. They had a pretty nice booth set up in there. Staff was pretty nice too. It was a great night, all in all.

on a side note.... the thing about how your friend's brother gets to play in there because how he brings people is basically what the owners want. The owners want their local talent to bring in people for the early part of the night till the headliner goes on, or when there is no headliner they want someone local who has a decent amount of people who come out for them. This should stress to the young DJs on the importance of promoting yourself and working hard to build a following....
    yeap i didnt know that, but i learned that last night when i was told. so now i know. and will keep in mind when my turn to spin at a club comes.

It's always good to have fun AND learn something in the same night! Connections are key when starting in the DJ business. Maybe you need to hang with that friend more often.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    It's always good to have fun AND learn something in the same night! Connections are key when starting in the DJ business. Maybe you need to hang with that friend more often.
    maybe , well we're good smoke buddies. but idk using him as a source although i wouldn't mind chilling. the reason being is because emotionally it bothers me deeply if i the feeling of owing someone. like i wouldn't want him to feel like i'm Dependant on him. and even then maybe the littlest things might make it seem like i'm. i hate the feeling of owing, which is why i never owe anyone anything. except for bills and my stomach for food. i think i will work my way up the ladder on my own and figure out how to but play alone.

and this person is someone who just cares about money, whom doesn't make much but 14 an hr. and the amount of hours he puts in...... describes to me how much he cares about money.

if i was to use him as a source. he will then one day comeback asking for something that i won't be comfortable enough with to agree. and i know that he will keep on talking and talking, trying to get his way. which eventually it would be a game of how he would mysteriously end it. but i prefer not to play the game at all.

i have known him since 2004. so i kinda know him but he doesn't know how i see him. example : last night i told him how i saw him dance w/ people who try to battle him. and how he wasn't even trying hard while the other is trying so hard. so instead, he uses the other person as bait, he just warms up for when he does see a challenge then he'll let it all out there on the dance floor. i also told him how funny it is that these people who come up to him and start dancing all out are being used as bait. when i told him that, he was like "dammmn wtf know one knows that". i'm an observer. i observe those around me and by their actions i built a list of what type of people might they be. so i know what type of distance i should keep.

i gotta smoke now and put my next minimal track on
    Last edited by cutflow; 03-08-2010 at 12:55 AM.

I totally agree with you, using friends to get ahead is pretty fucked up. I'm just thinking that if he's a cool dude to hang with anyways, proximity to his scene and friends might open up some unexpected opportunities. I actually got interested in and learned to DJ because of a good friend who invited me to hang out at the parties and raves he was spinning at. My other job (as a sound tech) fell into my lap because of a regular customer that I befriended when I used to bartend. I'm not saying to try and use this friendship to your advantage, but chillin' in VIP areas won't hurt your chances of getting accepted into the club scene, and it's hella fun, too!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    I totally agree with you, using friends to get ahead is pretty fucked up. I'm just thinking that if he's a cool dude to hang with anyways, proximity to his scene and friends might open up some unexpected opportunities. I actually got interested in and learned to DJ because of a good friend who invited me to hang out at the parties and raves he was spinning at. My other job (as a sound tech) fell into my lap because of a regular customer that I befriended when I used to bartend. I'm not saying to try and use this friendship to your advantage, but chillin' in VIP areas won't hurt your chances of getting accepted into the club scene, and it's hella fun, too!
    yeah...well i just started partying again, so i will be hanging out with him more often since he gets free in the clubs then i dont have to pay 40 bucks to get in.

hehe my friends make fun of me for frequenting pacha but i like to get my guido + guidette fix! Loco dice will be playing there soon, cant wait

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lola View Post
    hehe my friends make fun of me for frequenting pacha but i like to get my guido + guidette fix! Loco dice will be playing there soon, cant wait
    what type of music does he plays. mayb ill drop by if u have a guestlist or something

he plays minimal. yeah its usually free at pacha before midnight... you can say you're on russian albert's list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast