i think i will jump right in it
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default i think i will jump right in it

vci 100se and audio 2 dj = 650 ish, plus traktor pro, like 750ish. that 750ish can go towards a cdj400.

i have decided that my offical beginner setup should be:

-djm600 for 900 bucks new. [mayb in 1-2yrs i would upgrade to the 800 pro after i gotten everything else]

2x cdj400.

then save money for cdj1000's mk since its what clubs are carrying around here

my questions are tho

can i get my decent computer speakers to work w/ the equipment? they are good enough for where i live. i live in a commerial apartment. aka jewish town. where loud music isnt tolerated and police favor the jewish here. so i dont think i would need expensive speakers at least not now. but umm

what would i need to get a setup of djm, 2x 400 to work ?

plus would i need a audio 2 dj or 4 dj ?

would i need anything to record audio internally?

i wanna get this list down now. and then i will be buying piece by piece but will start buying the expensive stuff first? or maybe there are certain things that should be purchased in rank as in 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc etc
    Last edited by cutflow; 03-08-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Tech Guru

The DJM-500 is a real product, its one notch below the DJM-600 with minor output differences. Also the DJM-600 has been discontinued, unless you find old-new stock, you're gonna have to get it used. Even then, if you're paying almost a grand for it, you're getting robbed, as those sell for about $400 or so used. Trust me, that's a huge price difference.

Also, why are you using an audio interface?. The CDJ-400 are MIDI capable and can be used with Traktor Pro without time code. Unless your computer has a low quality sound card, but either way, I would just use the HID support from the CDJ to handle the control aspect.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    The DJM-500 is a real product, its one notch below the DJM-600 with minor output differences. Also the DJM-600 has been discontinued, unless you find old-new stock, you're gonna have to get it used. Even then, if you're paying almost a grand for it, you're getting robbed, as those sell for about $400 or so used. Trust me, that's a huge price difference.

Also, why are you using an audio interface?. The CDJ-400 are MIDI capable and can be used with Traktor Pro without time code. Unless your computer has a low quality sound card, but either way, I would just use the HID support from the CDJ to handle the control aspect.
    i found the djm700 for 900 bucks ?

would that be worth it vs 500 or 600. i noticed the club i went to last night had a djm800, like the guys who did the opening set for patrick m, they used djm800

Tech Guru

You said DJM-600 in your original post.

It's usually a default choice of clubs since it's either that, or a Xone of some-sort (usually the 92). When it comes to mixers, it's all about price range, and preference. Personally, I enjoy using a mixer at home which I can get creative with. A Korg Zero 4 a nice example of all the bells and whistles. I mean the way I see it, you're looking to get into digital, you may as well get a mixer which compliments your decks.

The DJM-800 has MIDI, though you'll need a MIDI to USB conversion cable. This will allow you to assign two channels to your CDJ's, and another two channels for whatever controls you want within the program. I believe that the 700 also has this, the differences between the 800 and 700 are purely on a luxury level, nothing which I think will impact how you get shit done.

Tech Guru

Also by "it's usually the default choice of clubs", I'm referring to the DJM-800, not the DJM-600 lol. Some clubs might still have it, but considering how problematic they can be, I would imagine most jumped on the 800 bandwagon.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Also by "it's usually the default choice of clubs", I'm referring to the DJM-800, not the DJM-600 lol. Some clubs might still have it, but considering how problematic they can be, I would imagine most jumped on the 800 bandwagon.
    well i dont think i will go midi. just stick to mixer n cdjs. so i think i should go w/ the 700 djm since the price range is close to 600, making the 600 not worth getting?

so now, on list i have
    2x cdj 400,
    1- 700djm,
    headphones,
    my comp speakers for meanwhile till i decide i can get something better to boost the volume during 10am-4pm which is when the jewish husbands go to sleep. and by 4pmish they're getting home from work, and most of the jew kids are gettin rdy for bed around 5-6pm. so i wud stop practicing at around 4pm. or this is when the dj equipment goes off.

so 6hrs w/ a little boost should enjoyable but this is for another time when i get everything and started.

so what else would i need to get those 4 things to work?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    my comp speakers for meanwhile till i decide i can get something better to boost the volume during 10am-4pm which is when the jewish husbands go to sleep. and by 4pmish they're getting home from work, and most of the jew kids are gettin rdy for bed around 5-6pm. so i wud stop practicing at around 4pm. or this is when the dj equipment goes off.
    Just gonna throw this out there. It's a neighborhood issue, not a "jew kid" issue. Not thinking you want to come across as offensive, but some people could VERY easily take language like this as such.

Now that that's been said

You should really get a solid audio interface, regardless of the internal sound card quality. It'll work better and sound better than almost any regular sound card. You can hook regular computer speakers up to it and it'll work fine. You can also do a lot of late night mixing sessions completely in your headphones. It's very different but very do-able for a home setup.

You can get a sound card that has MIDI in and then won't need the MIDI to USB to take up another USB port. The CDJ-400's also do have USB to midi, but now you're talking at least 3 USB ports just for the external gear. You have tons of options, especially with good gear. If you decide to go with time code it would replicate spinning in a club much better than using the USB-MIDI being most clubs won't have that option. Granted, I'm a fan of just spinning on whatever you spin on at home, and making that as simple and modular as possible

So yeah, you seem to have the right direction, it almost pushes toward your preference of working at home.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Just gonna throw this out there. It's a neighborhood issue, not a "jew kid" issue. Not thinking you want to come across as offensive, but some people could VERY easily take language like this as such.
    thank you sir!!

or, perhaps its cutflow's problem, not everyone elses.
    newest TSP, late 2009 macbook (2 gigs ram, 2.13 cpu), 2 x technics 1200 mk2, allen & heath xone 32, herculese stealth...guitars, pedals, amps......

You should really get a solid audio interface, regardless of the internal sound card quality.
    He said he wants to use just the mixer and cdjs. Cutflow, you don't need an audio interface or a computer to use cdjs. You have everything that you need on your list.

Good work @DvlsAdvct! Good moding.

I find it strange how easily people can make certain kinds of generalizations and offensive remarks about jews on a public forum.

It'd be very unlikely you'd read something about a "black" area or anything about "blacks" i wouldn't have thought. Or "whites" even...

Anyway, thanks for drawing him up on it... carry on with your audio interface debate!
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast