Quick Ableton-Traktor setup questions

Default Quick Ableton-Traktor setup questions

Hey guys this is my first post i just have two quick questions about ableton and traktor setup
    1, With an aggregate sound device how can i add an external sound card into that? i have a reloop dj2 but i cant but that into my aggregate devices? is there a way?
    2, Is there a way i can stop all Midi signals from 1 controller going into traktor so i can jam out in ableton with some effects etc maybe someway i could link that to a shortcut on my keyboard?
    Thanks in advance guys

You are using a mac I assume?
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

That's correct

I'm going to assume that you have a MIDI device that is connected to a single computer running both Live and Traktor at the same time with one or more MIDI devices that, during the same "set", you sometimes want both applications to listen to the device and sometimes you want only one application or the other to listen.

This is possible to set up on the Mac using a free application called MidiPipe. I use it on my computer running Ableton with an APC40 attached to hijack some of my MIDI signal from the APC40 and route it back out over an M-Audio Uno USB to Midi cable that goes into my Audio 8 DJ soundcard which is plugged into a second Mac running Traktor Scratch Pro. In this fashion, the top right 8 knobs on my APC 40 control some additional things in Traktor that aren't readily accessable on my custom Kontrol X1 device mapping in Traktor (like filter, master clock tempo and a few other things). Meanwhile, everything else on the APC40 continues to control Ableton for layering of loops on top of my Traktor DJ tracks and using Ableton Live FX on top of all my various audio channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I'm going to assume that you have a MIDI device that is connected to a single computer running both Live and Traktor at the same time with one or more MIDI devices that, during the same "set", you sometimes want both applications to listen to the device and sometimes you want only one application or the other to listen.

This is possible to set up on the Mac using a free application called MidiPipe. I use it on my computer running Ableton with an APC40 attached to hijack some of my MIDI signal from the APC40 and route it back out over an M-Audio Uno USB to Midi cable that goes into my Audio 8 DJ soundcard which is plugged into a second Mac running Traktor Scratch Pro. In this fashion, the top right 8 knobs on my APC 40 control some additional things in Traktor that aren't readily accessable on my custom Kontrol X1 device mapping in Traktor (like filter, master clock tempo and a few other things). Meanwhile, everything else on the APC40 continues to control Ableton for layering of loops on top of my Traktor DJ tracks and using Ableton Live FX on top of all my various audio channels.
    Im abit confused with the app Midipipe i looked at eans tutorial but im not quite sure about what im doing Basically heres what im doing, running traktor and ableton need a way for the keyboard midi signals to turn off for Ableton and run in traktor and vice versa with an easy click so as i can do effects and stuff in ableton without cueing my traktor track etc, im using a single macbook with an external audio interface built in to one of my midi devices ( not the one i need to swap between ableton and traktor)

Hmm... you can do what you are looking for with midipipe but I think you would have to do some creative tweaking. For instance...

Setup your midipipe such that it takes all input from device A and sends it out on a channel of your choosing. Once you have that midipipe setup then you could change which channel it goes to per your liking. However,... I do not believe there is a convenient way to tell midipipe to make that change at the push of the button using only midipipe and your device.

One possible solution comes to mind but it may be more techno-geek than you are interested in. It would be possible to create an applescript that interacts with the midipipe interface to make the change you need. Once you have that applescript saved you could add it to your Macs services which then allows you to designate a keyboard hotkey shortcut to execute it. What that would look like in practice would be something along the lines of this:

Press ctrl+[ and the device is now sending messages on midi channel 1 which traktor reads
    Press ctrl+] and the device is now sending messages on midi channel 2 which ableton reads

You could use any key combination you want so long as its not something already being used by the application you have in focus or by the OS.

IMHO thats a complicated solution fraught with potential pitfalls for anyone who isn't really comfortable writing and managing Applescripts. Perhaps someone else on the forum knows a cleaner solution.

Oh, actually another (equally if not more complicated) solution would be to buy Bome's Midi Translator, learn to write the code it reads and program your own custom control of the MIDI device. This would absolutely work but it would cost you a chunk of moola for the software and a bunch of time learning to code it to do what you want.

I'd only suggest that if you are REALLY certain that it's a solution you want and will use for a long time and you are inclined to spend some time learning Bome's. The advantage to this, beyond your immediate needs, is that you would then have the knowledge to do some pretty awesome things with your controller.

i managed to get only ableton getting midi signals but ive got no idea how i did it know traktors getting signals again just gunna keep tinkering. Thought ide be able to get a simple app that could make midi go to ch1 and ch2 with a click and i could set a midi input to both apps with ch1 ch2 :/

ive figured out i think the simpliest way because i could get ableton running by itself with midipipe import 2 selected in traktor and 1 in ableton but when i swap to input 2 it still goes into aleton unless i turn off the mid input all together so ive got prefrences for live and midi pipe up and if i swap them both ill get full control both ways

edit got it working not sure how thanks for the help just have to change the midi output like i wanted to