Why? Famous DJ's use CDJ vs. Timecode?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Why? Famous DJ's use CDJ vs. Timecode?

Was checking out vids of big named DJ's at WMC and Ultra and I'd say about 80% of the DJ's and 100% of the really big names (Guetta, Tiesto, etc.) were all using 4 CDJ's rather than a digital set up or even time code cd's. They had NO laptop, instead a HUGE book of CD's! Some guys were using timecode and had Serato up, a small few had Traktor up, and only 1 or 2 vids were guys using complete digital set ups/midi controllers.

Whats the big advantage of using stricktly CDJ's?? Only thing I can think of is at an event that big if one CDJ goes down you still have 3 more to keep the music going, rather than a computer freezing or crashing.

I figured these guys would be using timecoded but I guess not?

personal preference i guess?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

yeah, but thats my question why is it that David Guetta, Tiesto, Roger Sanchez, Armin Van Buuren, etc ALL prefer 4 CDJ's.

I know there are big time names using software but in my opinion David Guetta and Tiesto are as big as it gets, and WMC is a HUGE event. So why do the biggest names at one of the biggest events prefer using CDJ's?

big name/small name aside, why do you prefer a midi or timecode set-up? (i assume this based on the site we're on)

name and event size doesn't equate to equipment used imo

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Maybe the likes of Guetta & Tiesto are 'that big' that all they have to do is play b2b songs with no more than a tweak of the flanger for good measure.

Both of them have gone down the commercial route, remixing big pop acts tracks, etc. Fair play to them.

Tech Guru

i prefer a midi set up because it was much more economical than 4 CDJ CDJ 1000's, also I am not playing at big clubs -- I play small gigs requiring me to be mobile and a VCI-100 and trigger finger can do what I need it to do. BUT, living in Miami (which I think is a pretty big city with big gigs) all the clubs come with CDJ's and most have Tech 1200's as well. So as I expand on my knowledge of DJing, and aspiring to move on to bigger gigs I have to wonder why is it that the guys who headline at Club Space, or fill up a stadium, or are the headliners of WMC and ULTRA, why do they use CDJ. What makes it better for them.

These guys are not blending one song after another. They are putting one hell of a show on, at one of the biggest House events in the world. So my question is it just realiablity of a CDJ vs. a laptop. Is it the showmanship. Whether they have gone mainstream or not, they still are carrying around a book of over 100 CD's and playing for more than 100,000 people. That has to make you wonder why they use CDJ's?

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Was checking out vids of big named DJ's at WMC and Ultra and I'd say about 80% of the DJ's and 100% of the really big names (Guetta, Tiesto, etc.) were all using 4 CDJ's rather than a digital set up or even time code cd's. They had NO laptop, instead a HUGE book of CD's! Some guys were using timecode and had Serato up, a small few had Traktor up, and only 1 or 2 vids were guys using complete digital set ups/midi controllers.

Whats the big advantage of using stricktly CDJ's?? Only thing I can think of is at an event that big if one CDJ goes down you still have 3 more to keep the music going, rather than a computer freezing or crashing.

I figured these guys would be using timecoded but I guess not?

I know for a fact that plenty of the big names at Ultra were using Traktor last year. Maybe the few videos that you saw were of djs using, but, hawtin, loco dice, luciano, cox, and plenty of others were using Traktor. So to say 100% of the big names were on cdjs is false.

So don't sweat it, many of the big names have embraced technology just like us. And plenty of them lurk these boards.

Tech Mentor

Pretty simple Stability !!!

Plus not every one likes mixing from a laptop TBH I am starting to feel that to !!

1. yes personal preference, They have been playing them for years.
    2. There was the same stigma attached to CDJ when they were new as there is today with Digital DJ's. They like you say are big name acts, everything they do is for the public to see, and lets face it, human nature in general is not impartial to a little tall poppy syndrome. These guys have built their name with CDJ's.... Now they get ridicule for selling out and playing pop, what will happen when people who dont appreciate digital DJ's see their CDJ heros using Traktor.
    They will come under fire, why put their reputations and millions at risk, when their CDJs are working perfectly fine. Yes you could offer the opinion that digital offers more creative potential, but lets face it, the guys have already sold out. Its usually the case that real ground breaking artists arnt appreciated until after their time. If you want to get PAID in your lifetime, then you got to play what people want to here, and do what people expect too see.

I believe thee guys will follow suit when some digi Dj's start busting down thier door.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Tech Convert

The BIGGEST acts have all been spinning for 15+ years. It's the "Old dog new tricks" theory. They are comfortable with what they learned on.

Wait another 5-10 years, then check out the biggest acts. I'm sure you will see a lot more "digital" DJ's.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast