69 Year Old Granny DJ, Ruth Flowers, Takes Paris by Storm!

Default 69 Year Old Granny DJ, Ruth Flowers, Takes Paris by Storm!

Link to Video:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8550942.stm

Behind the decks at Queen, the biggest and brashest nightclub in Paris, the DJ lifts her arms to the heavens. White ticker tape falls on to the crowd below, who hurl themselves around to the throbbing bass, intermittently yelling their approval. They push to get to the booth, taking photos on their phones as the hottest star of the moment lines up the next tune.

But Ruth Flowers is not your average DJ. Coming up to her 70th birthday, when many are well settled into retirement, the grandmother from Bristol has become an international sensation, in demand in clubs throughout Europe. With spiky silver hair and scarlet lipstick, gold bomber jacket, baggy tracksuit bottoms, bling jewellery, and trademark giant black sunglasses, Flowers plays down the new-found fame of her twilight years.

"I'm not a superstar DJ," she said, before donning her diamante-encrusted headphones and starting her set. "I'm just a DJ." Mamy Rock, as she is known on the circuit, came to the wheels of steel later than most. She fell in love with dance music after accompanying her grandson to a London nightclub.

"The bouncers didn't want to let me in at first, I was quite a lot older than the usual clientele, but once I got inside I hugely enjoyed it. I thought 'I can do this.' My husband had died, I was retired, I had the time, so why not? I like to mix the old and the new, so I might put electro alongside an old favourite like the Rolling Stones," she said.

After playing a residency at a jetset villa at the Cannes film festival, Flowers' popularity has snowballed.

"I can't believe the type of reaction I have got so far. People seem to adore me, they say they want to be like me, when they should just try and be like themselves, the dear things," she said, suddenly sounding like the grandmother she is.

With an electro-rock EP, MamyRock, on the horizon and more offers to play famous nightclubs throughout the world, she has no desire to slow down just yet.

"I've got no intention of retiring," she said. "Well, unless I drop dead. And I'd much rather go out with a bang than linger."

Flowers worked as a singer and singing teacher in Portugal for 14 years, and returned to the UK after the death of her husband. She has little time for those who think she should grow old gracefully.

"I think you have to accept the challenges that come your way. You can stay at home, and do nothing but go to an old people's club and to church for a cup of tea once a week. But you don't have to do that. If you want to do something then you really can," she said, before setting out to play to her fans. "I just hope I can work that machine."
    Myspace: www.myspace.com/emdeeema
    Apple Blackbook/ 320 GB Seagate Free Agent Go!/ 500GB LaCie Backup
    VCI-100 SE/ Korg nanoPAD / Echo Audiofire 2
    Logic Pro 8, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live
    Lots of Weed

There are 3 thread already for this story, can a mod please merge them all... thx

R _ _ _ _ _

I was just going to say...pretty sure I started a thread two days ago haha