Setting up your set?? how you guys do it - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Never played a club, but many house parties. I have a few different playlists made up that are constantly growing/changing but in those playlists I always add something to the song title in () to help me. Like (mix with such and such,sample this,loop this , juggle with something, BPM, etc) You never know what the mood will be before hand so making it easier for yourself to improv is key. I have never stuck true to a set I have planned...really I think, like what was said before, just know your music well and if your skills are on par you can't fail

Type 2 and 3 for me.....depending on my mood and party.

Usually type 2.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

there's a ratio of bpms to beer intake for me, usually 2 bpm/beer. i start off at around 130 and by the time i fall over we're up to about 146 ish
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

When I play out my main Genre - Drum and Bass i can go out almost without any preparation, because now im so deep in the scene that i can mix from top of my head with great results

But, when I play anything else (like Dubstep/Breaks etc.), i usualy prepare set beforehand, just because i do not know the scene completely, and IMO is better to go off with prepared set (with minimum improvisation - just add this or that song on occasion that seems to fit - either to keep energy, or play banger or slow down) than to risk that i will play high energy song and then by mistake continue with inapropriate counterpart.

Actually, at last gig i tried to merge those two. Aim was to play more than one genre, so i started with home-prepared Dubstep Mix (say 30 mins). Flawless mix actually boosted the ppl enough so when time was right i made the switch to my Drum n Bass with tremendous effect and rocked the party from there on.... I will definitely try it few more times.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Quote Originally Posted by Damien1138 View Post
    Guess i'm a high class hooker
    there have to be some
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Mentor

You forgot the flatline style hipnotikk. Just start with a banger and keep on raping them, thats my prefered method. I rely on the breakdowns to give people a breather. But I spin hard techno, so Im the black sheep in the equation.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Tech Mentor

a old dj friend of mine taught be a great trick, i think i forgot to mention it.
    i look at how long i plan to play, lets say 2 hours for example. i play something between 10-11 tracks per hour, so that is like 20-22 tracks. i would double that per genre i am looking at. so if i think i may need to play, tech house or electro house, i would have 40ish tracks per genre. gives lots of flexibilty and at the same time, keeps me focused.

Tech Mentor

I make a 'set' playlist of all the genres I plan to play with about 50 tracks in each...

I also have every track on my itunes in a genre defined playlist (about 100 to 500 tracks in each) so no matter what I can always just flick to that and find the track by typing it in or scrolling up and down file structures.

This also makes building my genre specific playlists a lot lot easier!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12