ableton launchpad/mpd problem
    Tech Wizard

Default ableton launchpad/mpd problem

I am moving from cdj to ableton with a launchpad and mpd24. My goal is using the launchpad to loop in ableton and then drum with the mpd over the loops running. I'm really into the MLR monome program but it hardly works for me with the launchpad. it keeps crashing. Well what my question is...

What should I look into so I can use my launchpad like a monome where I can real time chop up a sample and loop while drumming with my mpd. Does ableton have some sort of instrument that emulates the MLR program. Am I going to have to use the clip launching only.

I hope this makes sense to anyone besides myself.

Also does ableton have some sort of feature like reason where I can lock my mpd the drum rack only. So I can drum, and hit a program change and switch up the sounds.

Tech Guru
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Wizard

well that's what I have been using but its very buggy and keeps crashing.... Maybe I just need to spend time and figure out the entire ins and outs of the program. I hate that modular layout though haha. Ill give it another chance. Was fun none the less.

Tech Mentor

I don't know if Molar VST would be a more functional solution...could be about the Max itself. I take it that you've made sure you have the latest version of everything..?
    @Twumpy

Tech Wizard

I just bought a launchpad about 3 days ago so everything was newly downloaded. Just got ableton too so that was 100% updated. I opted for the cheaper controller over an actual monome with the intention to control Traktor with the launchpad also, with my cdj's (different problems entirely hah). Ill look at my setup again make sure everything is tip top. But I can route nonome thru ableton? I have been running it as a separate program.

Tech Guru

i only briefly played with using the free runtime. getting things up an running was a non trivial task, but i didnt have any stability issues. especially if you are on windows you might want to follow this guy too: http://little-scale.blogspot.com/
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Mentor

Max can be quite picky on which version of Nonome it collaborates. You should check the monome forums for the right match. I'm about to venture into the same area, but I don't really have experience yet to problem solve. That link lsmith put there earlier is good reading.
    @Twumpy

Nonome can be a little funny sometimes, but works great in general.... been using all the monome apps with no problem....

Tech Mentor

If the nonome seems difficult, you could cut the loops to pieces in Ableton, use the follow actions and set the quantization to something less than 1Bar. I installed Nonome/mlr to my other Launchpad and it worked nicely after the less-nice setup phase.
    @Twumpy

Tech Wizard

im kind of upset because i really love the mlr program.

It crashes when I bang on the buttons fast or make backward loops..... I think I am just going to have to make groups in ableton and assign them to user 1 and user 2 on my pad..... Blah

I didnt know if ableton had a mlr-esque instrument you could call up.