Daisy-chaining SL-1/3 and Audio8?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daisy-chaining SL-1/3 and Audio8?

Anyone ever try daisy-chaining an Audio8 and an SL-1? Does it work? What order of the chain works best?

I'm trying out a bar night with another dj who uses Serato (I'm using TScratch). We'd like to mix together for most of the night rather than playing separate sets.

Any experience doing this?

How many decks are you using? If you only use two decks, the best way you can go is routing the two outputs from the SL-1/3 box to, for instance, inputs 5/6 and 7/8 on your Audio 8. In Traktor you then can assign deck C and D to audio through (by clicking on the arrow beneath the deck letter). Now you can route the outputs 1 to 8 from your Audio 8 to the clubs mixer (only if this is a 4 channel mixer). If there isn't a 4 channel mixer available, the best way to go I guess is to mix internally and route your master out from Traktor into the mixer.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Thanks Dennis, that's a good call. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making this crazy idea up in my head with imaginary rules of timecode signal path.

We're using two turntables and a three channel mixer for this gig. If we both ran SSL, we could just hotplug our laptops or daisy chain our SL-1/3s. Since I'm not running SSL, sharing two decks between two laptops generally involves unplugging things and isn't graceful in the least.

*edit - three channel mixer with two switchable line inputs on each channel. left that important bit out!
    Last edited by PartyMcFly; 03-09-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: i'm an idiot

If you are using only two turntables, you can just switch in Traktor between audio through and scratch control; audio through will assign the deck to Serato (the timecode signal of Serato will be decoded on your friends' computer to a track he's playing) and scratch control will assign the deck to your computer. So it's as easy as switching between audio through and scratch control on your laptop and switching between the Traktor and the Serato timecode vinyl on the turntable. In this case you only use two channels in Traktor, so you only have to route two decks (for instance outputs 1 to 4) to the mixer, so you only use two channels on the mixer
    Last edited by DennisHuiberts; 03-09-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

IF this works (which i dont think it will) the Serato guy is gonna have massive latency.

Your asking serato timecode (1khz) to pass through and Audio 8 and the laptop via audio through and then the SL box then the second laptop then the mixer ???????

The Traktor DJ is also gonna suffer latency as the audio passed through the SL box.

Audio Through still goes through the laptop so you can apply internal FX.

Is this really a good idea when you have 4 channels any way.

You need a Magma Switch Box for this.

K

Yeah, the latency will blow going through Serato's silly little USB1 pipe.

Guess I'm going to be brushing up with SSL this afternoon, then.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Do you have access to a 4 channel mixer?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Not one that we don't have to go out of our ways for. The lounge has a two channel mixer with two separate switchable line inputs on each channel. 6 of one, half dozen of the other I suppose.

We'll get there early and try the daisy chain, and if it's too much hassle I'll just spin Serato with him.

Fortunately it's just plain old straight mixing and end-to-end blends, not any four-deck effect-laden ninja shenanigans. Since this is the case I'm giving the daisy chain a 60% chance of working in our favor.

Thanks for the input, guys. I love this forum.

*IF* the guy has the power adapter for his SL1 then just run from the tt to the sl1, route the outs from the sl1 to one set of inputs for the mixer. Then route the thru on the SL1 to the audio 8 and then the audio 8 to the other set of inputs set to line and not phono. Should work with 0 added latency with the way the through on the sl1 works. I know I have set this up with a sl1 and a sl3 so that you can hot swap laptops and it worked great. The key is having the power cord because that makes the thru on the sl1 works even if there is nothing hooked to it usb.
    Last edited by djlokifl; 03-09-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    Yeah, the latency will blow going through Serato's silly little USB1 pipe.
    lol at silly. Usb1 works perfectly fine with the requirements of the sl1 box, and usb1 uses less resources then usb2, so it will work better on less powerful systems.

i do believe the last post about the power adapter is the way to do this. you can pick up a power adapter at radio shack. nice post djlokifl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast