WMC Events which are you going to?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default WMC Events which are you going to?

I am trying to figure out what events are worth the time and money (besides Ultra). Also if you guys know of any free or sponsored events, please feel free to share

Right now the events I am thinking of are Cadenza V Desolat @ Shelborne, Dirtybird @ Electric Pickle, Flying Circus @ Nikki Beach, and the "25 years of Detroit Techno", the Get Physical Beach Party, and The Objecktivity Party. (Unfortunately the DJMag parties are sold out can anyone attest to how much door cover/wait should be at these?)

So I started writing this as I was going through the events, and there are just too many lol. Can anyone who went to WMC last year make some recommendations, or share their experiences on venues, parties, etc.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

i have been attending and playing the WMC for 10 years now. I never know where I am going, all I know is the parties I will be playing. I never once have bought tickets ahead of time, but that was also back in the day when there weren't as many people... and also now thankfully I can get into most parties by getting on another DJs list. The only 1 party I know I am going to is Ultra, and I only, ONLY ONLY go there to hang out in back of Cox's stage and see a few friends. I hate Ultra. Most of the acts are garbage, and its basically a cluster f#ck of bad music.

That being said, all of the parties you stated look like good ones. There are so many cheap and free good parties, you just need to do the research ahead of time. I also offered to anyone on this board free admission into my label party for them and all their guests... just shoot me a PM

Tech Guru

After looking at all the parties going on around and during ultra, I paused to think about if it was wise to buy my tix. I am looking forward to Orbital, Timo Maas, Fake Blood, Cox, Luciano, Crookers, BB, Groove Armada, Ghostland and a few others, but I totally agree that there is way too much fat in the lineup that could be trimmed. It is really cool though to be there in my hometown Were you around Cox's backstage last year, I got to listen to quite a few in that tent, although I missed Cox himself because I was with people who had other ideas (like skipping moby for pvd, I told them I'd meet em later and was glad I did).
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 03-09-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    Where you around Cox's backstage last year...
    yes I am back there each year since he has been been doing Ultra.. this is his 4th i think. I never went before. Like you said, there is too much crap between the few good acts. I actually played Ultra last year... eh, over rated...

Tech Guru

I was looking at the lineup for Ultra and have a friend, Spinnzinn, who got on their lower lineup this year (which I'm stoked to hear for him). I'd like to go check out some of these lesser known sets, but I feel like their are so many and that lots of em will just be w/e. Do you know of some local names who are talented that are worth watching from those lists?

Saw Orbital at last years Big Chill - was ... interesting. Feels like I can tick it off 'the list' as it were, but it wasn't amazing (though tbf I was a bit bent out of shape as this was the Saturday night of a festival. I though I'd broken my brain they started chucking effects on the video screens)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

Hmm. That makes me stop and think. I've never seen Deadmau5 but had figured I would skip him for Orbital, as I figured that I can see him again anytime, but like you said Orbital is a much rarer act, although if the mood aint right.

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    I was looking at the lineup for Ultra and have a friend, Spinnzinn, who got on their lower lineup this year (which I'm stoked to hear for him). I'd like to go check out some of these lesser known sets, but I feel like their are so many and that lots of em will just be w/e. Do you know of some local names who are talented that are worth watching from those lists?
    Most of thosse people get on that bottom tier for doing promotions, etc... unfortunately I can't say that I know any of them really. Tey cram so many people in tere just to get them to promote and then they only get like 10 minutes to spin...

Getting into Miami Thursday afternoon, and I'm going to:

Thursday - World of Drum and Bass
    Friday Day - Ultra
    Friday Night - Future Sound of Breaks
    Saturday Day - Ultra
    Saturday Night - Metalheadz vs. Bassdrive

I know if you are around Wednesday, there is the ViRam show with Andy C and company. And there are a lot of other parties as well.

I'm a huge DnB/Dubstep fan, so you can see that reflects my choices.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Most of thosse people get on that bottom tier for doing promotions, etc... unfortunately I can't say that I know any of them really. Tey cram so many people in tere just to get them to promote and then they only get like 10 minutes to spin...
    I was wondering how they fit that many lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast