Allen & Heath worth the upgrade from a VCI-100
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Allen & Heath worth the upgrade from a VCI-100

Been looking at some options to expand my current set up. Im using a VCI-100 and a trigger finger and for my current needs it does the job. I've been thinking of upgrading to something else, and I know the gear doesn't make the music, but somedays I wonder if I am limited by my equipment or my own creativity.

So a gentlemen nearby is selling an A&H 92, Motu ultralite MK3 sound card, and 2 Xone 1D's for about 1800 bucks. I know thats much cheaper than what it sells for so I think its a deal worth considering.......but lets get real hear its still a nice chunk of change.

For the guys using TP and A&H Xone products, whats the advantage over the VCI-100 and midi pad? Is it worth the upgrade?

Tech Mentor

Also interested in this question!

Banned

It really depends on how you're playing I'd say. The VCI is more geared towards controllerism if you will and you're tearing up those EFX with the jog wheel like a mad man I'd say stick with that.

On the other hand, if you drawing out mixes and using all four decks and are not that worried about controllerism I'd say go for that deal, no question about it.

there is a massive difference in sound quality.

the vci can't quite compare to a proper audio interface and a superb analogue mixer. by moving to an external solution you get the benefit of using the real xone eq and filters which are "emulated" in traktor, plus the level control of the faders is quite different altogether. i also feel that analogue summing in the 92 with a quality interface sounds much better than traktor's internal mode.

with the aux send and returns, you can do all sorts of stuff with external effects if you have them, or you instantly have a great mixing solution for your other bits of kit to combine with the traktor experience.

that's an amazing price too...

Tech Mentor

If you go with it, you're getting top of the line equipment, which tends to just... feel better.

are you happy with your current vci-100 setup? do you use the effects a lot, or do you just mix? do you do a lot of four deck glitchy madness wankery? if you like to mix four decks at all, I'd say jump on it - there's nothing like a 1-to-1 setup where you don't have to worry about modifiers and alternate mappings and, more importantly, not forgetting how they work at 3 am.

if you have the money, I'd say go for it, because I honestly can't imagine a more ideal setup. The only drawback is portability - you're going from a couple of lightweight midi controllers to a hefty four channel mixer and two chunky controllers. Plus, you'll have to worry about working with the club setup, if, say, they have a djm 800 but not enough space to wedge your xone in there.

Quote Originally Posted by mix architekt View Post
    there is a massive difference in sound quality.

the vci can't quite compare to a proper audio interface and a superb analogue mixer. by moving to an external solution you get the benefit of using the real xone eq and filters which are "emulated" in traktor, plus the level control of the faders is quite different altogether. i also feel that analogue summing in the 92 with a quality interface sounds much better than traktor's internal mode.
    there's nothing preventing someone from using the same audio device with the vci100, and mixing externally, so really it comes down to the differences between the number of controls on two 1Ds vs the # of controls on the vci and what you are trying to do.

you have so many options for that amount of cash, even the option of saving/investing it. best to avoid external influences (like i'm sure the guy selling thinks its a good idea for you to buy it) and make the best choice for #1

good luck
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Wizard

Firstly, A+H sound quality is amazing. I've owned Pioneer (old model), Tecnics and Vestax mixers and I have been blown away by the sound quality in my Xone 3d. You will also notice a difference in 'feel' if you are coming from a internal mixer setup. I think most people would agree mixing externally is much nicer than internally. If you haven't used a high-end external mixer before you might find it changes how you mix to some extent. I have found that I can be less forceful (than mixing internally) when mixing to get the desired result.

The filters are worth paying for alone - believe the hype... Traktor emulation of A+H filters is not even close imho.

Two 1Ds will give you more parameters than your current setup and plenty enough to control 4 Traktor decks with a very simple setup. Make your own TSI's to suit your workflow and you'll never look back. The only advantage (for me anyway) the VCI will have over the the two 1d's is the jog wheels. Provided the 1d's physical configuration doesn't bother you and you are not incessantly using the jog wheels for effects/scratching you shouldn't have a problem.

Tech Guru

Thanks for the input. I use three decks quite a bit and the fourth to do drop sample sound effects. So my current setup can do that but I'm always thinking there is is something better I can use. The money is alot for me. I've also been looking at a Xone 42 and two kontrol x1's. This would be quite a bit less.

My only concern there is not having jog wheels to search/seek thru a song. Do any of you have experience with this?

Tech Guru

xone 1ds have jogwheels....

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I use three decks quite a bit and the fourth to do drop sample sound effects. So my current setup can do that but I'm always thinking there is is something better I can use. The money is alot for me. I've also been looking at a Xone 42 and two kontrol x1's. This would be quite a bit less.

My only concern there is not having jog wheels to search/seek thru a song. Do any of you have experience with this?
    42 filter system is different. Have a play with it before yo ucommit to buying.

As for scrubbing through tracks I use the encoder above the jog wheel. Works a treat. I use the jog wheel for for, funnily enough, jogging. Between both of these I have the resolution I need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast