DJing is illegal and illegitimate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    350

    Default DJing is illegal and illegitimate

    well for my english course, we were given a little simple project to do. below is an example

    (example) TOPIC - the recent rise in violent among teenages.
    (example) Comment - can be traced to their widespread unsupervised use of violent video games

    so i needed to come up with something similar to the above so i decided house music/DJ-ing. under comments are arguments defending DJ-ing. (my prof argued with me about DJ-ing, and the point of this exercise is to come up with arguments defending DJ-ing since its what i choose to write) the title thread was given by my professor which motivated me to think of ideas to defend it and so i have listed some below.


    FEEL FREE TO PUT YOUR 2 CENTS ON IT.


    Topic

    DJ's are entertainers who throws a show for people, not steal other peoples hard earned work.

    Comments

    1. It's legit for DJ's to spin other people songs as long as the DJ's don't claim it as their own. For example, DJ's are not selling and or making a profit of any sort from other peoples work.

    2. when a DJ spins somebody else music, they are marketing another artist product which would increase the original artist/producers sales rather than the person(DJ) playing the song at the club who doesn't profit.

    3. no Honest DJ would every claim a song of someone elses is his. He plays it because he likes the song, and thinks others will enjoy it

    4. the artist is paid a royalty for every time said tracks or albums are purchased. The club pays a licensing fee so they can play whatever type of music they want in there without it turning into a "you played my song, I'm going to sue you"

    5. The song being played at the club has no bearing on the artists income. In fact, the song being played has increased the income for the original artist If the song is good enough to get the crowds attention.

    IF you understand where this is going then feel free to drop your 2 cents on to this. just a sentence. now off the records i don't know if it is illegal. maybe to the IRS unless clubs are putting people on a payroll and receiving checks every 2 weeks. but yeah this is just an assignment and i wanted to see if anyone wanted to add on anything to it b4 i submit it tomorrow
    Last edited by cutflow; 03-14-2010 at 10:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Tech Guru diezdiazgiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    805

    Default

    To say that any latin music ATTRACTS latin culture is poorly phrased and backwards in its logic. Music is a facet of a culture.

    Plus I'm sure there are some black folks that would be offended by the notion that "tribal" music SHOULD appeal to them...

    And those comments don't even really touch on the topic...

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    To say that any latin music ATTRACTS latin culture is poorly phrased and backwards in its logic. Music is a facet of a culture.

    Plus I'm sure there are some black folks that would be offended by the notion that "tribal" music SHOULD appeal to them...

    And those comments don't even really touch on the topic...
    well we're talking 50% of culture here and the different types of cultures in this world. i'm using music as in example. and how house music has all type of genre's that attracts certain cultures. and so forth. sentence 3 n 4 touches the topic. and i didn't say that tribal should appeal to them. i said tribal is more likely to be heard by Africans because it has that flavor in their songs and plus the beat. there are a various types of house music and each one has a impact on certain cultures etc. hrm maybe i should remove the culture thing and just do it without culture so it sounds less racist if thats what people will think about it. so instead i'd just leave it as what it is but removing talkin about culture, i wouldnt want people in class to think im from the KKK or anything lol

    ok i removed the cultural thing. and edit other parts too. re-read it and share your opinion about DJing
    Last edited by cutflow; 03-14-2010 at 09:53 PM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post

    2. Tribal house music could attract a decent amount of African culture simply because of the sounds featured in it.

    As the resident "black man" on DJTT, I feel it my duty to post this.


    Well I'm off to go eat fried chicken and watch basketball. ONE LOVE!
    http://www.numark.com/images/logo.gif

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post

    1. It's legit for DJ's to spin other people songs as long as the DJ's don't claim it as their own. For example, DJ's are not selling and or making a profit of any sort from other peoples work.

    2. when a DJ spins somebody else music, they are marketing another artist product which would increase the original artist/producers sales rather than the person(DJ) playing the song at the club who doesn't profit.

    3. no Honest DJ would every claim a song of someone elses is his. He plays it because he likes the song, and thinks others will enjoy it

    4. the artist is paid a royalty for every time said tracks or albums are purchased. The club pays a licensing fee so they can play whatever type of music they want in there without it turning into a "you played my song, I'm going to sue you"

    5. The song being played at the club has no bearing on the artists income. In fact, the song being played has increased the income for the original artist If the song is good enough to get the crowds attention.

    IF you understand where this is going then feel free to drop your 2 cents on to this. just a sentence. now off the records i don't know if it is illegal. maybe to the IRS unless clubs are putting people on a payroll and receiving checks every 2 weeks. but yeah this is just an assignment and i wanted to see if anyone wanted to add on anything to it b4 i submit it tomorrow
    All those points are awesome. You might use the illustration of a racing team and their driver. Without a dedicated "professional" driver, the racing team has not shot of winning. Without the racing team the driver has nothing to race. Together they form a winning synergy. But both recognize their place. The driver doesn't claim it was all him, and doesn't claim that he "built" the car, and vice-versa, the team doesn't take credit for the promotional benefits they receive by having a winning driver. Same with artist and DJs. You might even throw radio Djs in there to. Would Beyoce and Lady Gaga be as huge today if DJs didn't spin their stuff, especially on the airwaves? Would the radio stations and clubs and by proxy, DJs, be in business if they didn't have the artist, and instead had to make all their own music?
    http://www.numark.com/images/logo.gif

  6. #6
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    924

    Default

    lmfao. you rock cabdoctor.

    here, I'll give you one for the road:


  7. #7
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA.
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Tribal house music could attract a decent amount of African culture simply because of the sounds featured in it.
    Stepin Fetchit has approved this message.

  8. #8
    DJTT Moderator Dude Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,405

    Default

    Thats like saying psytrance attracts a bunch of lsd addled smelly hippies ... oh wait ..
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

    " Iím the Dude, so thatís what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if youíre not into the whole brevity thing. "

  9. #9
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brighton UK
    Posts
    472

    Default

    you need to read the copyright laws before writing a paper, not make assumtions on it. my old roommate was in charge of the copyright section of a publishing company and after discussing it, we discovered there were some interesting gray areas. and that isnt including bootlegging and illegal sampling.

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor Phormula1.8T's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Thats like saying psytrance attracts a bunch of lsd addled smelly hippies ... oh wait ..
    hahahaha...does..
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •