amp for powered speakers

Default amp for powered speakers

Hey I have some subs they are not powered. I want to stop having to lug around the amps . Does anyone know where i can get the amps that come in te powered speakers ,so I can turn my non powered subs into powered subs.

Not sure this is possible - powered speakers have internal amps, and are designed so that the space inside the amp allows the best frequency reponse - cutting a hole in the speaker to jam an amp in would utterly fuck the acoustics of the speaker.

Anyway, surely the speakers would just end up a hell of a lot heavier, as rather than lugging around a seperate amp, you just end up lugging around a set of speakers with a heavy amp in?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

Short answer: It would be a bitch.

Cutting a hole in the speaker would mess with the subs performance. What type of sub do you have? What type of amps do you currently lug around?

Based on those 2 answers, I would say either: Sell the subs/amps and buy powered ones, or sell your amp and buy a new, light, sexy one (lots of lightweight amps on the market right now: Peavy IPR, Crown XTI, New Behringer amps, New Crest amps, New Crown XLS Drivecore series).

thank you I guess both of you are right . been looking at the new amps might as well just get one

Buy a lighter amp. A bunch of the latest power amps have made breakthroughs in dealing with heat and minimizing weight.