Logic Users...Actually Anybody.
    Tech Convert

Default Logic Users...Actually Anybody.

I just got Logic 9 and there is something I've always wondered how to do since I began making music.

The question is, how do you gradually open up the gate on one track and record it as you are opening it up? Like starting out staccato and and then opening it up to legato. I can't seem to find a way to have it record AS I am opening it up, it just stays at whatever I last leave the gate knob at.

Second question is, How can I put mutiple effects on one track, but at seperate times? Example; I have a standard lead, with no effects on it at the beginning, but at the very end of it I want to put an echo on it, but just the end not the whole track. I can only seem to add an effect to the whole track and not just part of it. Is there even a way to do this?? Thanks guys!!

Maybe these are newb question, I dunno but I appreciate the help.

Tech Convert

Use automation. You should be able to record automation on any of your effects and plugins just like you would with volume levels. Works really well if you map the knobs to a midi controller and use that, it allows you to be really expressive with effects. Im not sure how to do this in logic but i know you can. Check the manual.

Tech Convert

Thanks man, def. newb question

automation will quickly become your best friend it can get quite confusing at times when you have 8 automations on each track, i recommend a large resolution screen :P

sadly, pro tools automation interface is much better than logic :\
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Student

To get up the automation window in logic just press A

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Suppli View Post
    I just got Logic 9 and there is something I've always wondered how to do since I began making music.

Second question is, How can I put mutiple effects on one track, but at seperate times? Example; I have a standard lead, with no effects on it at the beginning, but at the very end of it I want to put an echo on it, but just the end not the whole track. I can only seem to add an effect to the whole track and not just part of it. Is there even a way to do this?? Thanks guys!!

Maybe these are newb question, I dunno but I appreciate the help.

ok a way i was shown how to do this (thanks steven lee)

create a new track and put your effect chain on the newly created track (if you want flange, filter, echo or whatever else you'll need one new track per effect)

say your lead is a loop of 1 bar with 4 notes and you just want the last note to ring out with echo, seperate (slice) the loop at whatever point so the last note is all thats in one segment (so your 1 bar is now split into 2 segments one with 3 notes and one with just one note), now copy that last note segment down to (or up where ever your Fx lane is)
    at the point you want and you've got your effect just on one note and not the whole song.
    this works well if you want similar effects threwout your track at various points. just slice up, copy and move the parts you want to your Fx lanes and your done.

there might be another way of doin it, like automating the effect but i find this easier.

hope that helps. any other questions feel free to ask

Quote Originally Posted by KenithCopeland View Post
    ok a way i was shown how to do this (thanks steven lee)

create a new track and put your effect chain on the newly created track (if you want flange, filter, echo or whatever else you'll need one new track per effect)

say your lead is a loop of 1 bar with 4 notes and you just want the last note to ring out with echo, seperate (slice) the loop at whatever point so the last note is all thats in one segment (so your 1 bar is now split into 2 segments one with 3 notes and one with just one note), now copy that last note segment down to (or up where ever your Fx lane is)
    at the point you want and you've got your effect just on one note and not the whole song.
    this works well if you want similar effects threwout your track at various points. just slice up, copy and move the parts you want to your Fx lanes and your done.

there might be another way of doin it, like automating the effect but i find this easier.

hope that helps. any other questions feel free to ask
    yup exactly.

Also with fx you can automate them to 'bypass' at certain points in a song
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.