start of an electro beat/bassline
    Tech Convert

Default start of an electro beat/bassline

how has this turned out? i'm pretty interested, i really like the line. did you finish the song?

Tech Convert

http://soundcloud.com/mrms/electro

this is the first song ive made so its not the greatest

Tech Wizard

the 'sound' of the bassline is good but the actual structure and flow of tune isnt there. the drums arent fitting that well with the bassline and there isnt any atmosphere. hard to explain in words but i cant see any 'soul' in the tune.

just leave it for a few days then come back to it. see what you can take out and what could be added. keep going tho
    Gear --> MBP 15" 2.53Ghz 500Gb 7200rpm HDD 4Gb RAM | DDM 4000 | UMX 25 | AK1 | AL7.18 | Traktor Pro 1.2.4

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by AndySpence View Post
    the 'sound' of the bassline is good but the actual structure and flow of tune isnt there. the drums arent fitting that well with the bassline and there isnt any atmosphere. hard to explain in words but i cant see any 'soul' in the tune.

just leave it for a few days then come back to it. see what you can take out and what could be added. keep going tho
    I agree with Andyspence. However I MIIIIGGHT just know how to explain what he meant, at least in my own words

The song has promise in my opinion, but no real dynamics nor presence so far. See it like this: you are trying, from what I can see, to build a song around a bassline, therefore that would be your "lead" then. All good there. But you always must have something that covers each part of the "spectrum" of a song...the rythm, the filling and the lead so far, you have the rythm and lead, but nothing in the middle, so that's why, again in my opinion, it might sound a bit hollow. Find some synth/fx/ambient noise that fills up that middle ground.

Or you can pull off a song with only these two instruments for sure, but then you need to make the lines/rythms a bit more "full". Adding a nice hihat line to the drums between snare/clap hits and maybe the same bass lines but an octave lower/higher (where possible; or adding more dynamics between the drums and the bass) will completely change the feel of song.

Bands like justice (or whoever produces their music lol) are a great example of this approach, however when they do this, they really beef up their basses and make them cover the stereo spectrum a bit more.

Again, this is just my opinion, I don't consider myself an expert but definitely keep it up!!

hope this helps

Tech Mentor

I was actually thinking of asking you for the stems so I could remix it, but then I realized the only thing I would change is the drums. They don't have any power behind them.
    As gusb2k says chuck some extra stuff in to make it more interesting but don't go too crazy. The bass line will end up losing presence if you go too far.

Loving the potential though.

Tech Convert

thanks for comments very helpful ive worked on it some more and got a another draft of it

Tech Convert

Hey mrms

its definitely improving, but this time the bass seems a bit too loud in comparison to the drums, and also the drums seem a bit hollow. Maybe if you change the kick and work a little the snare/clap sound (I think I hear both) I would help

what I do with my drums is that I normally compress the snare and clap, and on my DAW/sequencer I put the claps just a tad in front of the snare so it gets this really biting sound, characteristic of electro..

So, to recap, I would lower the bass volume and work on the drum sound a bit more, not on the drum line per se which is fine. Compress, reverb, the works

And again, IMHO, I would add a synth or something, but this is entirely up to you I just like to do a bit more complex tracks thats all :P but that doesn't mean one is better than the other

Oh, and speaking of my tracks and since we are all here to help each other, maybe you could drop an opinion on a track I recently posted here?

http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12858

thanks in advance! and keep up the good work!