Have you used Serato??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have you used Serato??

im trying to buy all my equipment by this friday....i already have a copy of traktor 3.3 that my brother gave me <3 i was thinking to buy a vci and a soundcard....or the vci 300 but i havent use serato!!!can u tell me how it is?? thank u guys XOXO <3 <3 <3

Tech Guru

Serato is like using vinyl except you can use MP3s instead of having own vinyls. Heh.

I'd stick with the VCI personally as firstly its waaaay cheaper then serato + 2 turntables + mixer. And secondly the only real point for serato is scratching (or if you NEEEED vinyl). 3. Traktor 4(pro) comes out soon which will allow you to use the VCI along side digital vinyl (Traktor Scratch) in the same software !

Thats my advice. But be sure to give it a try, you might fall in love with the vinyl feel.

hope that helps :]

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    Serato is like using vinyl except you can use MP3s instead of having own vinyls. Heh.

I'd stick with the VCI personally as firstly its waaaay cheaper then serato + 2 turntables + mixer. And secondly the only real point for serato is scratching (or if you NEEEED vinyl). 3. Traktor 4(pro) comes out soon which will allow you to use the VCI along side digital vinyl (Traktor Scratch) in the same software !

Thats my advice. But be sure to give it a try, you might fall in love with the vinyl feel.

hope that helps :]
    thank u midian but i was thinking of buying the vci300 that comes with serato itch!! im sooooo

Tech Guru

Oh i c. That could be sweet 2. Especially since your just getting into DJing the vci300 is a gr8 all in 1 setup :]

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaly View Post
    i was thinking of buying the vci300 that comes with serato itch!! im sooooo
    Basically, if you want to focus more on just the mixing aspect of DJ'ing then the VCI-300 and Itch are your best bet. It is designed more with traditional DJ'ing in mind.

But, if you think that you might become interested in the controllerism aspects of digital DJ'ing, such as the ones discussed here, the VCI-100 offers more buttons that will be useful for future programming.

Check this comparison if you haven't already: VCI-100 vs. VCI-300
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Serato is cool. Its the norm for club djs...I would say its use by 50 to 60% of the digital djs use Serato (please dont shoot me for saying this)

But traktor (& scratch) are coming up and are being respected by clubs & promoters little by little.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Serato is cool. Its the norm for club djs...I would say its use by 50 to 60% of the digital djs use Serato (please dont shoot me for saying this)

But traktor (& scratch) are coming up and are being respected by clubs & promoters little by little.
    I need to agree to this. Though Traktor may be better in terms of features it's hard to establish it in club setups imo. All DJ's I've seen around here used to work with turntables, a mixer and a laptop with serato scratch live running on it...

Although digital DJing and especially controllerism is a good thing it's hard to establish controllers as a DJing device. I've talked to several casual people that have nothing to do with DJing like the casual setup as it exists back in time. Spinning vinyls is what the crowd wants (although no one uses real vinyls anymore...)

To go back to the topic I think all digital vinyl systems have one weak point. They won't ever be as exact as a computer or real vinyl system would be. So last night the DJ (which was kinda fool) had so much dirt on his needles that his SSL kinda had a takedown within his set multiple times... :-(

Best regards.

Edit: I'm kinda sorry, I didn't read the first post and thought it was about SSL not Itch... O_o

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post

I'd say more like 90=95%

I'd say for "Club Dj's"...50% SSL 30% Traktor & 20% Other Digital software.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I'd say...... 63% SSL, 47% Traktor, 8% Itch, 10% Vinyl, 40% Beans, 45% Rainbows, 39% Elephant Tusk aaaaannnd 62% Butter.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast