How Do You Organizing Your Traktor Library?
    Tech Wizard

Default How Do You Organizing Your Traktor Library?

I was reading through an older blog post (Oct.'09) about organizing your music by number type. Type I, Type II, and Type III. How do you personally organize your music in Traktor? Ideally I'm planning on organizing my collection by genre and by the different Types suggested from djtechtools.
    MacBook Pro • Ableton Live 8.1.1 • Novation Nocturn • LPK25

Tech Wizard

*Oops... I meant Organize
    MacBook Pro • Ableton Live 8.1.1 • Novation Nocturn • LPK25

Quote Originally Posted by Punk BH View Post
    Ideally I'm planning on organizing my collection by genre and by the different Types suggested from djtechtools.
    Same here but still about 20.000 files behind on that
    it's a pain in the ass if you did'nt start categorising right after you downloaded your very first mp3
    Y M C A !

2x 1200sl, Denon MC-6000, VCI-100 SE Arcade, Midifighter, BCR 2000, Traktor X1, Tracktor Scratch Pro, Pioneer 600 mixer, a mother in law (for sale!) and loads of coffee!

I actually spent awhile talking with my friend about it, because I've been complaining about doing my collection over the past couple weeks.

This is a post he made in response to a blog entry I made:

You need to find a way to not do the org by hand. What I do is:

- All new music goes into an 'unorganized' folder

- Run a script that does basic name santizing, like capitalizing DJ, replacing & with +, removing some invalid characters, removing 'Original Mix', etc.... See More

- Run a script that renames files from ID3 tags to the format artist_-_album_-_track_-_title.mp3

- Run a graphical program and visually inspect the track names, correcting any errors. Rerun the previous script.

- Run a script that parses out remixer names, giving an option to org by original artist, remixer, or both (if Sub Focus remixes Dizzee Rascal, I care about the former).

- Run a script that moves these tracks into the correct organized artist folder.

- Pop open my music program and manually label the genres. I could probably skip this step and just convert beatport/dnbarena genres to my personal format, but haven't done it yet.

Whole thing takes about 3-5 minutes for 100 tracks or so, and I only really do it about once a month. linux ftw!

He runs his scripts in Python I believe, and I may take a crack at figuring something out for myself. I HAD a very messy music library, but have been manually working on it for awhile now. And I still have quite messy file names, though the ID3 tags are looking good.

I have about 1367 songs. And it's still taking me forever.

TBH I should have my buddy just finish writing his program and market it as open source or quite cheap.

Rapid Evolution does the trick, at least for organizing music information.
    Music is communication, as any other form of creation.
    SoundCloud
    MBP 13", Traktor Pro, Presonus Firebox, Numark Stealth, Akai MPD-18, Behringer speakers.

Tech Guru

i finally spend a few minutes to write down my current workflow in a blog post:
    http://ifnotwhynot.me/getting-myself-organized
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music