Mixing Techniques - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Usually I'm pretty quick to load up the next track. As soon as the song stops, I'm loading the next one up and listening to it in the monitor.

I usually organise my sets before hand.....and select a bunch of brand new tracks.

So I kinda know what I am gonna be playing next etc.

No real need for me to listen to the new track....only check if its tight etc....and then in the mix....i check to hear whats happening.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

yeah. I usually get a pretty good Idea of what I'm gonna do before hand, then I'll lay down 2 cues for entry points. One for like a traditional mix, and another for a layering mix. Then when I'm playing, I decide which one I want to go with on the fly, based on the crowd/how I'm feeling about the song.

I can see this thread is going to be popular. Carry on gents
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Geez discussing mixing techniques is like debating the exact length of a piece of string lol. Nice insights
    Why the hostility? I don't see anything wrong with it. Mixing is very important and there are a million ways to do it, some better than others. It's also something that most DJ's welcome the chance to learn more and get better at it. So discussing it is a good idea. Yes its kinda hard to articulate it on a forum but its doable. I've seen several threads like this in the past and picked up a few tips from them.

Will post a few more tips later when I have time

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by colly View Post
    Why the hostility? I don't see anything wrong with it. Mixing is very important and there are a million ways to do it, some better than others. It's also something that most DJ's welcome the chance to learn more and get better at it. So discussing it is a good idea. Yes its kinda hard to articulate it on a forum but its doable. I've seen several threads like this in the past and picked up a few tips from them.

Will post a few more tips later when I have time
    Didnt read the rest of the thread? All of us have come at this in a very lighthearted manner, jester more than most.

Here are a couple i use-

The Tease-
    Bring in a key part of the main harmony of an upcoming song; isolate it, then go back to the previous track as if to telegraph the upcoming madness. Usually works real well with anthems. This creates tention and reinforces the energy switch when the teased track comes in.

Bassline Switches-
    Probably one of my favorite things to do. As you have two tracks layered and running together, play around with switching the basslines. The track with the dominant bassline will become the song in the foreground and this is a great way to remix the incoming track.

Tempo Switch
    As the major phrase of the dominant track is getting ready to hit a breakdown, start cueing up the next track. Say the first track is dnb @ 176 and the next track is dubstep @ 140 (@ half resolution ~70), the two tracks will obviously not beatmatch, so you essentially just need to do it. Drop it in on the major phrase of the 2nd song at the begining of the 1st songs breakdown, switch over to the 2nd song balls out either by fader, cross fader, or by breakstop and the dubstep song will act as a "breakdown" to the major phrase that was just played. Take into consideration tonal quality of both tracks as they should be similar. Ideally, the 2nd track can act as a key change to reinforce the "breakdown"
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    hahahaha, yeah it is.... Just wait till we get a metric vs Customary argument going on.

Customary, WTF is that.... Unless im missing something i thought it was Metric and Imperial. Or have you guys changed the terminology from imperial to customary the same as French frize became fredom frize.

And as far as any argument is concerned, well there is none to be had...

Bang to stones together to make a fire or use a liter, its your choice..

However, the piece of string i would guess is 22 leagues long.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

I do your first 2.

The tempo change won;t work for me....

But sick tricks!!!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Damien1138 View Post
    Here are a couple i use-

The Tease-
    Bring in a key part of the main harmony of an upcoming song; isolate it, then go back to the previous track as if to telegraph the upcoming madness. Usually works real well with anthems. This creates tention and reinforces the energy switch when the teased track comes in.
    I like this one. I do it all the time. A lot of time i dont actually play the teaser track next. People are expecting the teaser track as the next track.
    I then chuck in a curve ball next. If the tune is a big un the crowd love it but are still hungry for that teaser track.
    Then after the second track you drop the teaser track and peeps just know you have messed with them but they love it (if all the tracks are winners).

Have a bit of fun. Your crowd will have fun with it.

Just dont take the piss. I did it for too long once, teasing with a track a few times and some girl shouted "JUST FUCKING PLAY IT" hahaha women eh !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast