Need to get Hotcue State LEDs to stay on after pressing them on APC40
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Need to get Hotcue State LEDs to stay on after pressing them on APC40

I have been messing around with my APC40 for the last couple of days.

I am really struggling with the LED output. I understand the whole concept that the square pad buttons are momentary and that these buttons send themselves an LED off command of '0' after they are released.

I would like to be able to set up a pad to be a hotcue. When the APC40 first turns on, I would like it to be red. Then when I load a track, I would like it to turn green if there is a cue point saved on it. If there is no saved cue point, any subsequent pressing of this button will turn it green, since it is setting the cue point.

I tried using the Hotcue State, and this works great when you load the track, the cue will light up correctly. It's just that when you press it, the button goes dark on release, since it is sending itself that off message. Checking 'Invert' has no effect.

Has anyone been able to do this on their APC40?

Tech Wizard

The leds are a pain to get working how you want them to. I pretty much gave up on trying to make one button do more than 2 functions with the leds. I m just happy that they are on and stay on at this point.

Traktors midi mapping system as far as LED's go is pretty poor, you need to use a midi translator to get the most out of your mappings when it comes to LED support.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Traktors midi mapping system as far as LED's go is pretty poor, you need to use a midi translator to get the most out of your mappings when it comes to LED support.
    Could you post an example on how I can use Bomes MT to accomplish this particular LED behavior on the APC40?

It seems from reading other threads on this forum, Launchpad users have been able to do this and I thought the Launchpad worked almost identically to the APC40 in it's 'generic' mode.

Quote Originally Posted by JCribb View Post
    Has anyone been able to do this on their APC40?
    Ran into the same issue with my padKontrol because after the button is pressed, traktor doesn't resend the midi message telling it to turn back on. The only way I was able to get this working correctly at load and after pressing the button was to use Bomes and a bunch of variables to store the states.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Guru

You can use modifiers (which get used up quickly if you're dealing with hotcues), or you can use Bomes. In Traktor you can also use an inverted "send monitor state" command, as long as all your outputs are mapped correctly. This sends a message to update led states on button release. In Bomes its also pretty simple. As long as a midi out is sent from bomes to the APC, you can define the behavior. Example: Button down note goes to a Bomes virtual out, which goes to Traktor (with bomes set as the In), executing the command. The button release note goes to the APC, which updates the led. The velocity (or midi range) part of the note is 01=green, 02=flash green, 03=orange, 04=flash orange, 05=red, 06=flash red, 07-127=green

Another helpful trick for the APC is that you can define the led ring behavior too. Sending a message of the CCknob + 8 with a value of 01-03 will initialize the ring. Say you want knob CC10 to display in pan format. You would have a button send the message CC18, value 03. The APC intializes rings according to 01=single style, 02=all leds (like in Live), and 03=pan style. Keep in mind if using Bomes, the messages are in hexidecimal, so the format is channel, cc/note number, value/velocity. B0 10 01 means "channel 1, controller 10, value 1. Hex numbers go from 0-9, then A-F, so while 10 means controller 10, and 19 means controller 19, controller 20 is designated 1A.

I've got a combo of Bomes and Traktor controlling led output on my APC, and everything works great. But for most tsi's, you can do it all in Traktor. Trust me. Actually I'm amazed that people are still using APCs without feedback in dark environments. I would surely hit the wrong button and f@*& it all up. I have heard of people returning their APCs because they couldn't get the leds to work. Don't despair! It can be done!!
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    You can use modifiers (which get used up quickly if you're dealing with hotcues), or you can use Bomes. In Traktor you can also use an inverted "send monitor state" command, as long as all your outputs are mapped correctly. This sends a message to update led states on button release. In Bomes its also pretty simple. As long as a midi out is sent from bomes to the APC, you can define the behavior. Example: Button down note goes to a Bomes virtual out, which goes to Traktor (with bomes set as the In), executing the command. The button release note goes to the APC, which updates the led. The velocity (or midi range) part of the note is 01=green, 02=flash green, 03=orange, 04=flash orange, 05=red, 06=flash red, 07-127=green!
    I actually did read all your posts about using the ‘send monitor state’ command to light up the APC40 LEDs after button release.

Here is an example of the commands I have on one button, Ch. 01 Note F3
    This doesn’t work for me- While the LED does correctly light green upon load, the LED on the pad doesn’t come back on after I release it, even when using an inverted Send Monitor State.

In
    Select/Set Store Hotcue, Hold, Deck A, HotCue1

Out
    HotCue1 State
    Controller range = -1 to 5
    Midi Range = 1 to 1
    Invert checked = NO
    Blend checked = NO
    Assignment = DECK A

Out
    Send Monitor State
    Controller range = 0 to 1
    Midi Range = 1 to 1
    Invert checked = YES
    Blend checked = NO
    Assignment = Global

Now, I did just see something that Buzz33 posted –
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz33 View Post
    I mapped almost everything in traktor pro to APC40.
    I did not try but if you want led feedback on your apc for hotcues try like this.

In the controller-manager ad OUT "Select/Set+Store Hotcue" then select note of button/led on your apc.
    then in Controller-Range set
    min:-1 max-1 for hotcue 1
    min:0 max-0 for hotcue 2
    and so on...
    in the midi-range set min:3 (for light up red) an max:1 (for light up green)
    it should work..

on that way i set loop size led-feedback on APC button matrix.
    If you need some more advice about mapping traktor to APC, just ask
    I’m at work now, so I can’t really test this, but do you think this would work?

I would actually revise this and say:

Out
    Select/Set+Store Hotcue
    Controller range = -1 to 0 (does this say that -1 = off and that 0 = hotcue 1?)
    Midi Range = 3 to 1 (3 = red and 1 = green)
    Invert checked = YES
    Blend checked = NO
    Assignment = Deck A

Zac, would you mind posting up a snippet of your APC40 TSI file and Bomes file that shows an example of an 'intelligent' Hotcue pad, and also an 'intelligent' volume style knob? I haven't even gotten around to the knobs yet, but that is my step.....I'd like to have the knobs all light with the volume style LED rings and I would like them to all light up with their specific knob positions volume style when I load that particular FX preset combination.
    Last edited by JCribb; 03-25-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JCribb View Post
    Out
    Send Monitor State
    Controller range = 0 to 1
    Midi Range = 1 to 1
    Invert checked = YES
    Blend checked = NO
    Assignment = Global
    Send Monitor State needs to be an IN, not an Out
    The midi range may need to be tweaked as well, right now that says that the only option is solid green on release (but that might be what you want, no)?

I'll see what I can do about an example - the rings I can show you right away, for the pads I'd have to build something. Personally I light the pads based on modifiers (not per pad, but in terms of global changes, ie pad is red in transport mode, flashing green in browse mode) - and with that, you don't need the send monitor state command.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    Send Monitor State needs to be an IN, not an Out
    The midi range may need to be tweaked as well, right now that says that the only option is solid green on release (but that might be what you want, no)?

I'll see what I can do about an example - the rings I can show you right away, for the pads I'd have to build something. Personally I light the pads based on modifiers (not per pad, but in terms of global changes, ie pad is red in transport mode, flashing green in browse mode) - and with that, you don't need the send monitor state command.
    In this particular example, I was referring to using the Send Monitor State as an OUT. I was focusing in on using the Midi Range and Controller Range values for lighting the Hotcue pad the way I want. Incidentally, this doesn't work either.

The only thing I can get to work on the APC40 is the buttons to light up permanently a particular color. I can do that. I can also make the Play button flash when a track is playing by using the Play/Pause modifier in conjunction with two OUT Play/Pause controls.

That would be great if you could supply an example of the Hotcue pads (and light rings, although I haven't tried yet at all and these may be super easy), preferably not using Bomes, if possible.

Tech Guru

So what do you want to do, in a nutshell?

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast