How to get a drumroll effect with Traktor...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How to get a drumroll effect with Traktor...

Been looking on the net for ages on information on this but to no avail so any help would be much appreciated.

I need to know how to do a drumroll in Traktor - by this I basically mean when you have a loop that goes from 4 bars->2->1->1/2->1/4->1/8 and then you drop the bass back in - usually happens at breakdowns in songs. By the way, the loop usually goes into a higher sounding pitch (I assume to build tension).

To hear an example (sort of): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd1JJ8abJCw

It's the only thing that I found that was similar.

Hope anyone can help/suggest how to do this in Traktor - I was thinking of using the jogwheels on my controller to reduce the loop but does Traktor support 1/2,1/4,1/8 loops?

Tech Convert

Just found another video with a better example and it stars Ean!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngmtCTcp5E8 Around the 2min-2min10secs is what im talking about.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

On the deck you have selected, right click on the loop button that has the length. You should get a whole list of amounts (32, 16, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1/2, etc.). You can either set a button to select previous loop amount or set a button/hotkey to each loop amount you want. So, for example, on your keyboard, the top row of numbers... 1 could be 32, 2 could be 16, 3 could be 8, etc. all the way down the line. You could also do this with a MIDI controller.

Another option is to designate a hotkey/MIDI command to select next/previous loop length. So, for example, every time you hit the left arrow key the loop gets smaller, and every time you hit the right arrow key the loop gets longer. You can do some interesting changes here with vocal samples and drum lines. :-) Hope this helps.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

What configuration is made for loops in the Traktor 3.3 tks for the VCI?

I've been messing around with the black buttons on the VCI but I find the loop options surprisingly limited on the standard setting? Is it really this limited or is it just me?
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

kidfromkibbly: what do you want to do, exactly?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

and what about using beatmashing? is the Ean's way?

this one is simple :-) in that example I am using the beatmash effect.
    You can also do it with loops but here is what you do:

you need 2 knobs- preferably 2 faders.

assign one to the length
    assign on to the effect on button (in hold mode) and effect blend.

engage the effect on the beat and slowly bring down the length.

DvlsAdvct:

Well I assumed that the looping function would be set up in a manner that such a 'drumroll' effect could be achieved eg.One button activates looping, then you can scroll through them with two buttons on the VCI.

I'm just wondering what the standard VCI Traktor 3.3 tks does with the looping buttons on the VCI (Upper left section - Three white function buttons and four small black buttons)

It seems to me that you can only turn on loop and move between three different loop sizes.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

I was playing with Moldovers version of this effect on Ableton - it sounds so badarse with a breakbeat !

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    DvlsAdvct:

Well I assumed that the looping function would be set up in a manner that such a 'drumroll' effect could be achieved eg.One button activates looping, then you can scroll through them with two buttons on the VCI.

I'm just wondering what the standard VCI Traktor 3.3 tks does with the looping buttons on the VCI (Upper left section - Three white function buttons and four small black buttons)

It seems to me that you can only turn on loop and move between three different loop sizes.
    I have found that if you follow DvlsAdvct's advice and set 2 buttons up - one to increase and the other to decrease loop length - then you can get much smaller loop sizes. I think taking snap off also helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast