Learning how to properly mix with Xone Filters / Traktor emulation

Default Learning how to properly mix with Xone Filters / Traktor emulation

Hey guys, I've done a few searches on the forum and can't find much (anything) in the way of mixing with the Xone: 92 filter emulations in Traktor. I mix on DJM400 right now, so that's not an option yet. In the same respect, 3 band EQ just isn't cutting it any more and I want to learn how to get my mixes tighter.

I wrote a comment on the mixing tutorial that highlights my problem:

"i feel like i have a really high standard with synths not clashing, and have been making way too many picks based on key.
    getting away from that, can anyone recommend some good resources for learning how to mix better with melodic tracks (example: trancy-progressive house)? i’d love to read how to better use the xone:92 filters in traktor to get more seamless mixes.

maaaaaaybe someone can write an article on more effectively mixing with hi/lo pass filters (pretty please)?"

Can anyone point to resources that have helped them (I've only found some equipment demos on youtube) learn this technique?

Thanks for reading!

Tech Wizard

Hi/lo pass filters cut away the high or low tones. The further you turn it on the more sound is going away, like if you do a lo pass filter it first starts with clearing the low eq's and the further you turn it on the middle tones are also going to dissappear untill you are left with soft high tunes.

For example what i like to do is when i want to switch low tunes from deck a to deck b i turn both lo pass filters on the same level, then quickly switch the low eq's and then slowly bring the filters up (with the normal filters). The xone filters are better for blending in general because it doesn't bring some sort of iceverb sound with it.

I can't make a video now because my vci is in parts ready for some arcade buttons, but i haven't had resources that helped me in particular i just listen to livesets from my fav dj's and just practice and mess around to find out what sort of blending and sounds i like.
    Macbook Pro, VCI-100 FW 1.3, Traktor Pro, Audio 2 DJ

It's all about the house music, and it always will be.

Tech Guru

Use your high pass filters to lift the highs out of the song. For example if your mixing out a track with vocals I tend to turn the hi pass filter up on the vocal track to lift the vocals up a bit and give it some character. Then add in a delay or reverb and fade out the vocals.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Thanks guys.

I could be wrong, but I think the two explanations above are backwards? High passes are used to first filter the lows out, and low passes are first used to filter the highs out. I'm admittedly a newb with filters but I think that's right.

I had to hit the manual to figure stuff out, and then look at a picture of a Xone:92 to think of where stuff actually mapped out (as it's not exactly 1:1).

The parameter which confused me: the Wet/Dry knob in the Advanced mode of FLT92 on Traktor. To my knowledge, there's really no such parameter on the Xone:92 mixer. When you're mixing on that you basically choose to engage a particular filter (LP/HP/BP) and hit that button, which is just like turning the Wet/Dry knob in Traktor to 100% and turning it On. On the Xone, after you've engaged this, the Freq knob then controls the frequencies which are then cut -- this quick explanation helped me through the visuals, which correlates with the Traktor sliders (HP to the left is a full pass, LP to the right is a full pass).

If you're used to mixing with EQs (like me), it's more intuitive to simply ignore the sliders and invert the HP modifiers. This way, when you turn your HP knob fully to the right, you get no filter (full sound) versus it being "backwards" versus a typical knob's functionality. That may just be a personal preference.

So if you want to emulate a Xone:92, leave the FLT92 On and fully wet and HP to full left, and LP fully to the right (resonance is personal choice, depending on what you want, I guess). Not having HP/LP in their passed spots would get clicking when you engage a fully wet, but "off" effect.

Hope that actually makes sense -- it was important to figure out the fundamentals. Now it's time to learn how to actually mix with these without them sounding like crap! If anyone has other technique tips, I'd appreciate them!
    Last edited by dishevel; 03-28-2010 at 04:28 PM.