For all Audiophile/DJs- better to get one great pair or two good?

Default For all Audiophile/DJs- better to get one great pair or two good?

I've saved up 200 for headphones. For a while I was deadset on buying myself a nice pair of Sennheiser- HD-II Pros.

They seem quite loved however the praise of their sound is not universal. While their weight, and fit would seem to be a huge plus, I spend about half my time listening to music in quiet settings.

Alternately, I was thinking about purchasing the Sennheiser HD280 Pros for DJ purposes and Grado SR80i for non-DJ listening. The cost comes out to be about the same.

Any insight?
    VCI-100 SE, Echo Indigo DJ, Technics RP-DH1200, Traktor Pro 1.1.2

Tech Convert

as much as the expensive sennheisers are awesome my opinion is that the Grado's are equally as awesome for non dj listening. the other sennheisers are great headphones for isolation, i have never used them as dj headphones but my brother has a pair for listening and they are very durable

Tech Mentor

with my experience it's better to spend more money on one thing rather than two things that might end up breaking. hd25s are brilliant for djing, but I'd never use them for listening or producing because they're too damn tight on your head for six hour sessions - which is of course why they're so good at isolation and great for djs. do you have some speakers for regular music listening? if so then I'd grab the hd25s.

Is it possible to do the classic "DJ headphone pose" to listen out of one ear with the Sennheisers?

Quote Originally Posted by JWit View Post
    Is it possible to do the classic "DJ headphone pose" to listen out of one ear with the Sennheisers?
    They don't have the usual folding earcups but you can pretty much keep on doing that, yes

+1 on the getting both the Sennys and the Grados. I've tried both, and that combo should do exactly what you want them to do.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info