Gimmicks and antics while on stage, entertaining audiences beyond sound...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gimmicks and antics while on stage, entertaining audiences beyond sound...

While reading fellow DJTT forum member JWit post about "Your name", I started to think about all the crazy names that people can come up to but those that had something happening on stage besides music rang a more solid memory.

I remember seeing a performance by Rabbit in the Moon here in Puerto Rico at the Electric Daisy Carnival...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWtKWc68MvQ
    *caution crappy sound ahead

I remember thinking... well, actually my mind was blank, the only thing I remember for sure was that I was at the right stage at the right time. I could dance, I could watch this crazy thing, I could do both, I could do neither.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<a hr...vzpKUlrqLQ</a>

When I first knew him about his music but experience his performance was just something way different from a guy jumping behind a laptop. And I say different because a regular DJ that can keep a vibe going on and build on top of it putting better and better stuff and mixing nicely can create a great feeling too. It's just that this time my eyes were also being entertained.

Point is gimmicks or antics while on stage would raise awareness and create more solid memories on people. While costs among other sociocultural reasons can prevent a guy from wearing a LED covered suit, of a muscle suit, I would definitely create like a Superbowl kinda half time with some Drama students wearing masks or whatever just to keep things interesting.

I think we can see that already happening at a more subtle pace. At my local gig's some DJ's would carry a projector with some crazy shit going on on the wall while playing. Obviously space constraints, money, people willing to do something like that may prevent a more "complicated" performance but A flyer that say "Light show" or "visuals courtesy from whatever" may get me more interested to go to any given show.

Also its not necessarily a visual thing per se, you can also have someone playing a "novelty" instrument like Ean did with a guitar Hero controller. I know I would LOVE to see a DJ set being complemented by something like a Roland AX-7 keytar

So what you guys think? It is a turn off to have some guy monkeying on stage? Would it raise curiosity? Would you be willing to create a more "complicated" show just for the sake to give your attendees a more varied and different experience? Could you tell us an experience from a show you went? Maybe it went good, maybe the guy caught fire due to a short circuit in the LED suit... You tube links and very welcome

Edit: Is the youtube URL thing broken or Im doing something wrong?
    Last edited by DvlsAdvct; 03-30-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

I'm glad I inspired you!!
    I personally like to put on a good song that is long enough and do some Tecktonik either in the crowd or up on stage if it's more of a stage than a booth, then get back up and drop the next song
    Last edited by JWit; 03-29-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWit View Post
    I'm glad I inspired you!!
    I personally like to put on a good song that is long enough and do some Tecktonik either in the crowd or up on stage if it's more of a stage than a booth, then get back up and drop the next song
    I hear ya mate !

Just like you could see some people breakdancing in the middle of the crowd you can have similar action on stage, provided you have a stage of course. Damn, I remember a party seeing some people breakdancing and then some guy passing in a hurry and getting whirlwind kicked right in the chest. Drink flying and people gasping. Too bad that happened in an age with no cameras on cellphones...
    Erase. Stop. Start.

The youtube thing is broken i just realized yesterday and im going to fix it tonight (which means now cuz its night in aus)

upside down-under....

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

For me I have to have fun. I'm not doing this for a living, I'm doing it cause it's a great passion for me.

So I dance, I headbang, I sing along, I get out on the dance floor, I try to do something to hype up the crowd and express physically where the breakdowns and build ups are... trying to kind of conduct them to the beat.

It's a good time.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    For me I have to have fun. I'm not doing this for a living, I'm doing it cause it's a great passion for me.

So I dance, I headbang, I sing along, I get out on the dance floor, I try to do something to hype up the crowd and express physically where the breakdowns and build ups are... trying to kind of conduct them to the beat.

It's a good time.
    i second for going on the dancefloor . love to do that while my favourite tune is playing...even if it is just a minute but this always entertains the crowd and they will go more mad than before!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Best stageshow idea I ever saw was The House Of God, a Techno club in Birmingham, UK. An old church building was being used for the event with balconies all around the main floor and the DJs raised up at the front with a huge ornate organ looming over them.

Halfway through the night, six figures in shrouds and hoods slowly walked in single file through the packed floor of dancers, each carrying a small viking longboat on a stick. The effect of these tiny boats navigating over the heads of the crowd like they were an ocean was amazing - way more effective than I am describing it.

And then they set off the diesel powered air raid siren indoors...

Don't spray liquor on anyone.

Not that it's disrespectful.

It's just a waste of perfectly good liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Best stageshow idea I ever saw was The House Of God, a Techno club in Birmingham, UK. An old church building was being used for the event with balconies all around the main floor and the DJs raised up at the front with a huge ornate organ looming over them.

Halfway through the night, six figures in shrouds and hoods slowly walked in single file through the packed floor of dancers, each carrying a small viking longboat on a stick. The effect of these tiny boats navigating over the heads of the crowd like they were an ocean was amazing - way more effective than I am describing it.

And then they set off the diesel powered air raid siren indoors...
    Nice! I cant imagine the acoustics a church could give to the bass sound:eek: I think location is make or break for a good party. If I was told about a party in a church I would definitely go.

Here in PR 10 years ago they did a rave at the Camuy Caves. They had the main stage INSIDE the big cave. It was crazy. I remember the inside of the cave with the people dancing, lights, the crazy acoustics of bass inside a cave and the peculiar odor of guano mixed with people sweat. When you looked up, you could see the bats flying around like crazy due to the strong bass sound and their sonar going bonkers.

They were planning to bring Deadmau5 to the same cave this year.
    http://elratonenlacueva.com/ >translated to "the mouse in the cave"

This is the preliminar flyer they have of the party:
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?113472

I heard it got cancelled, then I heard they moved it to a later date, I also heard the Department of Natural Resources spoke and said you could not do such a party inside the cave... Stories, stories.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast