What is your day job? (If any) - Page 12
Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

im studying graphic design

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    hehe good one.
    LOLZ, was thinking the same!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    I feel for ya! I went from 5 years at a very lucrative bartending gig to being blacklisted at restaurants and bars in my area. Had to feed my kids so I spent almost a year between cashiering at Target all day and graveyards at a gas station. It was very humbling coming from 8 years of bartending and 5 years of sound engineer work, but it paid my bills in the end. I think the shitty jobs actually inspired me more than anything else. I don't even make as much money now as I did at those crap jobs, but my daughter can say her dad's an out of work DJ now, instead of a gas-station worker.
    That sucks man, when you got kids involved too that's when shit gets serious. At least I got no one depending on me. I think I'm more pissed off at the fact my DJ gig on the weekend came to an end a few weeks back as the bar I played at closed down cos of rent & council issues.
    Still, you're in Cali tho, top of my list of places I'd love to go. You should let me come crash on your sofa & we can both work towards getting a gig somewhere & working on music. wink wink nudge nudge.

Oh, and how the hell did you get blacklisted from bars & restaurants in your area?

Tech Mentor

I make circuit boards. Not as glamourous as you might think.

Not so much blacklisted, but I don't get a good recommendation from my old boss, so it's really hard to get into any of the good restaurants around here. Someone under 21 got a drink bought for them while I was working, and even though I carded him and pulled the drink, the kid's mom came in and flipped out on the owner, so he made an example of me. At least now I DJ at the same place, so the fucker still has to pay me.

Yay! 100 posts for me!
    Last edited by jakeintox; 04-05-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    That sucks man, when you got kids involved too that's when shit gets serious. At least I got no one depending on me. I think I'm more pissed off at the fact my DJ gig on the weekend came to an end a few weeks back as the bar I played at closed down cos of rent & council issues.
    Still, you're in Cali tho, top of my list of places I'd love to go. You should let me come crash on your sofa & we can both work towards getting a gig somewhere & working on music. wink wink nudge nudge.

Oh, and how the hell did you get blacklisted from bars & restaurants in your area?
    Mate, go somewhere new. I used to live in Devon in a tiny little seaside town and got sick and tired of the same bulshit day in day out so move to large city and it worked out. Admittedly, as you may have seen in my earlier post, I don't like my job that much, but it aint some menial, working cleaning LIDL toilets or Maccy D's job? Plus the pay isn't bad and having read your post I actually feel glad and have taken stock a bit.
    You got no dependents so get out there and try something new?
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    Not so much blacklisted, but I don't get a good recommendation from my old boss, so it's really hard to get into any of the good restaurants around here. Someone under 21 got a drink bought for them while I was working, and even though I carded him and pulled the drink, the kid's mom came in and flipped out on the owner, so he made an example of me. At least now I DJ at the same place, so the fucker still has to pay me.
    Do you know what, I love the America, it appeals to me so much. But the one thing that pisses me off is this whole drinking business. It's a completely different ball game out there. I mean, someone's mum came in and had screwed at the manager?? Damn man WTF, why would she even bother? I remember my mum letting me have a beer when I was like around 12 years old just to try it. It is not such a big deal out here. I remember drinking in a pub when I was around 16. And what is up with drinking at 21 anyway? Jeez, you can't have a beer until you're in your 20's yet you're aloud to drive a 5 tonne death machine at the age of 16?? The yanks are nuts! But I guess thats why I love em.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyoog View Post
    Mate, go somewhere new.
    I've decided to go to Spain at the beginning of May if nothing comes up here until then. I've got plenty of bar, waiting & DJ experience & I've done it before so I'm confident I'll get a summer job.

Tech Guru

about to start my second year in college. worked full 40 hour weeks last summer as an IT intern, did the same this summer at the same company but about half the hours sice i was takign summer classes as well.

gear was mostly funded from selling all my guitar gear :eek:

Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Offshore Electrician
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter