Traktor beatgridding not working well with VBR mp3s
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor beatgridding not working well with VBR mp3s

So yeah, I noticed that a lot of vinyl rips that I have (mostly variable bitrate v0 mp3s) can't get beatgridded for shit in Traktor - and I know how to beatgrid properly. I also have issues with Autogain.

Do I experience these problems solely because these are VBR mp3s? Is it caused by the way the track was mastered? Because they are "old" tracks that don't keep a constant bpm all the way through? (that wouldnt explain the autogain problem though)

Any others experiencing this?

I can still beatmatch/adjust gain "by hand" but using Traktor to its fullest capacities with those VBR rips would be a big +.

You will always have trouble gridding vinyl rips mate. Not so bad if the tracks are new but on older tracks the vinyl drift can be really bad. Usually you can get around this by putting 2 or 3 grids on each track; another solution is to "warp" the tracks in ableton live, if you have that available.
    If the gains are an issue for you, i would recommend a great little free app called "mp3gain" to normalise you tunes. VBR's do tend to be a bit on the quiet side.
    Last edited by Jester; 04-04-2010 at 12:48 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Still using regular beatmatch over sync button for that reason!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

I've given up trying to grid the whole track and resorted to tapping in the beat if/when I need it on some of my old rips, and adjusting/beatmatching by ear.

Last night I was trying to beatgrid this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaqp8oesZ0s

and nearly did what it says, the grid was that far out lol
    Last edited by Hippie; 04-04-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: grrr youtube

Tech Convert

^the tapping function suuuuuucks though ... it was better in T3 but it has been discussed many time I think

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you use the tap function you should use it on the Internal Clock function, not in the advanced panel. That one works fine.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall